Finally!

Joerg Polzfusz

The kids nowadays do a shitty audio job with a lot of the films. I can't understand how so many eyeballs and so many ears are involved in a film and they still put out crap when it comes to audio. I mean, when I work on my projects, it is just me more or less. When you work on your projects how many eyes and ears are involved?? No excuse at all. Another trend is for the kids to make films so dark you can't see the scene. I just don't get it??

Rule #1...don't have background sound noise, sound effects, music and dialogue going on at the same time. And if you do have an audio mix, have someone listen to the film to check the dialogue. Same thing with music and dialogue. Music can overwhelm the dialogue.

Have a mix of old and young test viewers look at the film while in post. See what they say about the dialogue. you are surely not a good judge if you produce shitty audio in your films. Neither is your audio man, girl or zir.

You know, when I work on my little film projects, I will sometimes make 12 or 17 versions of it in post on throw away DVD's to see how they look on TV and the computer. You can't get a perfect color / contrast grade for both TV and computer many times, so I have to average it out. It is the same with audio. I routinely change the audio volume up and down to test things. 

I downvote many channels on YouTube for this very reason. You can't understand the dialogue, they put constant music long with the dialogue and it distracts from the presentation. Or their audio volume is poor. If they keep doing it after I call them out...I downvote them. These aren't art films on YT, they are education, news or commentary channels. But some of them put constant, menacing music to try to 'boost' the message.

You can also hire me as a cheap consultant. I will tell you what is wrong with your film in 5 minuets. I was watching an older film, from the laserdisc era. It was some rock and roll doo wop 60's remake. They had a group of girls in a convertible driving along and talking. They had wind noise, car noise, road sounds, radio music all going on all at once along with actresses that could deliver good dialogue. I shut it down after a few minutes. I couldn't understand hardly a thing. That shows shitty filmmaking.  

You can have big names involved in shitty work. Hoyte van Hoytema shot an action film with a black lead in it. Can't remember the name of the film. But the black lead was a shitty actor and you couldn't understand him. The lead girl was the same thing, shitty dialogue delivery. I shut the film down after about 30%. Terrible. Lost some respect for Hoyt, putting out crap like that.

Don't sign your name to shitty work people. If you have to do it for the $, use a pseudonym. Have a little pride in your work.

<><><>

ProstituteAmsterdam382014DanielD.TeoliJr

Prostitute Amsterdam (Candid)

Selection from De Wallen Amsterdam's Red Light District  2014

by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Advertising Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. VHS Video Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Popular Culture Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Audio Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Social Documentary Photography