Other Jobs you work?

what are some of the jobs you guys work currently or before becoming a full time DP?

I just got some job at the local news station editing, I don't like editing especially on tape-tape linear suites, but Im waiting to hopefully become a full time news videographer. is it bad for me to get into the news industry if I know I don't plan to stick with it?

• Premium Member
is it bad for me to get into the news industry if I know I don't plan to stick with it?

Hi,

I sure most of us have shot or edited news in the past. In the end we all have to eat. The important thing is to try and learn from editing other peoples pictures. Getting a chance to shoot every day and being paid has its plus points.

I cut my teeth shooting on Ektachrome 7240 Video News Film!

Stephen

I shot news for a year and a half or so.

It does not in any way lead you into the film business, but it's a lot better than working in an office while you await your big break.

Just watch for one thing, news stations thrive on finding young single males they can work to death as news shooters. I see this time and time again. They'll use young guys while they can, making them work long hours for low pay, then toss them on the trash heap once they pass 40. At 40 you'll be too expensive and want time off etc etc.

Also, escaping your news position will be much harder than you think. So many "film" people get trapped by the news, after all it can offer a steady pay check with benefits and the film biz can not offer any thing like that. Before long you'll have a car payment, rent, credit card bills, etc etc. Then you'll need your news job to keep money coming in.

When you're working 40+ hours a week shooting news when do you have time to pursue a film career? If you get offered a job as 1st AC on an indie shoot for four weeks, will your employer give you the time off and then just let you come back when the job is over? Expect two weeks vacation a year in the USA.

It's tough.

R,

• Premium Member

I think all that really matters is that you have a job with flexible hours so you can shoot whenever you get the opportunity. If the job is industry-related and you enjoy it, all the better.

I worked for four years full-time in an insurance company designing forms while making films on the weekends. Then I went to film school (working three part-time jobs while doing it: in the school library, as a teachers assistant, and doing data entry at a sound efx company.)

I spent two years after graduation doing the data entry job at the sound efx company (learning a few things about sound post) before I was able to quit, mainly though because I had a wife with a full-time job with benefits, which freed me up to work freelance.

"mainly though because I had a wife with a full-time job with benefits, which freed me up to work freelance."

Ah yes an excellent idea for the young man, get married and put her out to work!

I'm not mocking the idea, it's how thousands of doctors get through medical school.

R,

• Premium Member

I too shot news for a while. I also worked as a P.A., grip, electric, and prop assistant before being able to operate full time. The great part about the last four jobs is that I was always on set and around camera, so I could soak up lots of info, while also earning a living.

I'm not a full-time DOP, though I hope to one day be. While shooting whatever I can, I'm also working as a production assistant, grip, Assistant Camera - basically whatever I can do that pays and lets me stay on set.

In addition, I've got a weekend job with Buena Vista Pictures whereby I perform checks on various movies and trailers for them and report back on audience reaction, quality of prints, presence of marketing material, etc. It's a sweet gig that let's me choose when I want to work and pays me to basically see movies :P

I'm not a full-time DOP, though I hope to one day be. While shooting whatever I can, I'm also working as a production assistant, grip, Assistant Camera - basically whatever I can do that pays and lets me stay on set.

In addition, I've got a weekend job with Buena Vista Pictures whereby I perform checks on various movies and trailers for them and report back on audience reaction, quality of prints, presence of marketing material, etc. It's a sweet gig that let's me choose when I want to work and pays me to basically see movies :P

Hook it up, put a good word in for me ey?

• 2 months later...

1) Paid experience on the set is best. (Obviously.)

2) Any paid experience in which you are learning something and keeping your brain alive is good. News work teaches you to be fast. That is a valuable skill. But after a year or two you will probably know all there is to know about editing spot news. If they let you edit features that would be good experience for a few more years. Eventually you will grow to love journalism and get promoted to producer, or you'll have had enough and move on.

3) Anything related to your chosen field beats selling shoes or hanging drywall.

4) Any job that keeps the bills paid is better than no job at all. There is tremendous anxiety in being a starving artist who refuses to get a day job. There is tremendous satisfaction in putting food on the table, even if you don't like the job. If your phone number is disconnected, you can't get any film work and the dream is over. Period.

Sunday I had a shoot. Monday I was a plumber. Tuesday I worked on my own house. Wednesday I had a shoot. Tomorrow I will be an electrician. My wife is a drummer on weekends and she cleans houses. If you're not in your chosen field full time, you'll piece it together somehow.

One more thought. Not all your career experience has to come from the job. You can film your own projects. Volunteer to shoot an educational film for your church or create an ad for the Humane Society.

Hope this helps,

W.C.