How would you change my shot?

The lower image is more yellow. I cannot tell whether this was done in post or with a filter or some camera setting (white balance?).

I would also assume that the lower image has got one more lamp (positioned on the floor, left of the camera, illuminating the woman’s face and legs).

• Premium Member

The lamp probably isn't lighting anything at all. I would suspect it's dimmed way down and there are off-screen sources providing the illumination. Personally I would've worked with lite-mat spectrums and snap grids, or astera tubes to start to dial in the colors on the day vs post.

If the lamp was lighting it, you would expect the paper  on the floor to either be much brighter in luminance, or talent to be much darker.

Background as well, personally I would've used a spectrum 2L or something similar to get the lavender type color.

Also the image is hazed, it seems.

In the lower image, the „pixar-logo lamp“ is looking straight down and hence isn’t illuminating the actress. In the upper image, the lamp has a 45° angle and hence is illuminating the actor‘s legs. Also, the lamp is much stronger in the upper image (something like 100W vs. 25-40W when it’s an undimmed traditional light bulb).

Hi both.

All fantastic advice, but how can I do this affordably? 

I’m looking more for how can I do it as a one man band on a budget.

I know tungsten redheads are cheap, but working in small spaces rather than sets, these things are so hot I imagine my talent sweating buckets. 

Thank you! 

• Premium Member

Put a lower wattage bulb in the lamp and use something else to key the talent, flagging it off from elsewhere on the the frame. Black out the daylight and use a very low level blue soft light in the background and a harder warmer light frame right to edge the sheets on the bed.