Dial of Destiny

Best film I've seen at the movies for a long, long time. Very much worth seeing. Wonderful cinematography too. Looked like classic old anamorphic glass to me. A brilliant achievement for the filmmakers. Went and saw it with my wife and two friends and everyone adored it. Great ending too.

Saw the movie in IMAX and enjoyed it a lot, very entertaining and atmospheric. The de-ageing VFX are very well done; somehow I expected just a short flashback and was surprised to see a whole long prologue sequence set in 1940s. I think using old anamorphic lenses (Panavision C- and T-Series according to imdb) and film emulation with a grain pass helped a lot with smoothing the CG imagery. It was great seeing old favourites back in action. Helena's character felt annoying and not very convincing, however. Loved the art direction and choice of music in 1969 scenes.

I still wish it were shot by Speilberg, good film but missing a little bit of his magic.

• Upvote 1

Shot on the Alexa LF. I purposefully didn't find out anything about the technical specs before seeing the film. They got a great look. The film emulation worked well. With so much incredibly convincing CG imagery involving Harrison Ford's face I guess it was simpler to shoot it digitally. Would have been nice if it had been shot on film like the earlier movies in the series but oh well they did a fantastic job anyway. A truly enjoyable cinema experience.

• 2 months later...