Questions about Neumade 16mm power rewind

I don't know which is the best category for this. If not correct, then move it.

Can someone help me with the following questions:

What is A and B for?

Is the body supposed to have this big gap? Is it for ventilation?

Anything you can tell me about it? Are there instructions online anywhere?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

If I remember correctly; 

A = the tension brake used when winding FROM the power winder to another winder.  This allows you to create a smooth film pack to a reel or another core on a separate winder/rewind you must pair with the unit.

B=  Not an adjustment; don't worry about it -- it's a locking collar that keeps the shaft from flying off.

C = The gap is normal and, yes, it's to vent the heat from the motor.

Nothing much to the operation.  Bolt it down; usually on the right-hand side of the bench with the flange face TOWARD you and the motor pointing away from you.  Make the mounting holes slightly oversize so you can adjust the rotation of the base of the unit slightly for alignment.  Tighten the base to just snug at first.

Carefully align the power wind to be square to the bench.  The film must take up without excess tension on one side or the other across the film core or hub of the reel, or you will stretch or tear your film. Secure it firmly and check this alignment every few months, as it can slip. 

Most people mount one hand rewind opposite (left) of the power rewind at a distance that is comfortable to allow you to place a hand on the shafts of both the rewind and the power wind.  This allows you to work for long periods without straining your arms as you wind a lot of film.  You also need to carefully align this with the power rewind;  especially if you are using large metal reels. 

The foot switch should have a variable speed button you press, but this is the point I am fuzzy about.  I had one of these years ago but can't remember if you had to regulate the speed of the power rewind ALSO via the yellow knob or if it was via the foot switch.

Anyway,  you should know instantly when you try it.

These units use motors with brushes.  Do yourself a favor and check the brushes before you install it.

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/understanding-and-maintaining-carbon-brushes-in-electric-motors/

Other than that, clean it up and check the bearings; they probably need servicing too.

This thing should outlast everyone reading this post if properly maintained.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Frank!

Glad there is still someone around that knows this stuff. Power rewinds are extremely hard to get. A picker found it and boom...it goes on eBay. But you can look for years and not find one.

I was interviewing someone via email and he seemed to have died between interviews. If you know someone with important history within them...get it documented...email...audio oral history...video...still photography...text.

Yes, I will have to learn about the brushes and all that. This is from an era when things were repaired and not trashed. It is built like a tank. Many thanks again for the info Frank. Good luck with your future retirement and keep moving! (As in exercise.) Sitting at the 'puter all day takes it toll.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.