Super 8 vs. HDV 24p with Mini35 or G35 lens adapter

I was wondering which format would yield better quality and aesthetic, a Super 8mm camera (Bealulieu, Nikon, Canon, etc and Pro8mm film stock) or a HDV 24p camera (JVC HD100, XL H1, HVX200, DVX100a, etc) with Mini35 or G35 lens adapter. I understand that a 24p camera will cost a lot more than a Super 8mm camera especially when a len adapter like the mini35 is added. The reason I'm asking is because a saw footage from a DVX100 equipped with a G35 adapter and was really impressed with the true film-like shallow DOF and quality of images (http://www.cinemek.com/?demos). All footage I see from Super 8 cameras are not as sharp and vivid color wise, but I like the super 8 format and it's look.

I was wondering which format would yield better quality and aesthetic, a Super 8mm camera (Bealulieu, Nikon, Canon, etc and Pro8mm film stock) or a HDV 24p camera (JVC HD100, XL H1, HVX200, DVX100a, etc) with Mini35 or G35 lens adapter. I understand that a 24p camera will cost a lot more than a Super 8mm camera especially when a len adapter like the mini35 is added. The reason I'm asking is because a saw footage from a DVX100 equipped with a G35 adapter and was really impressed with the true film-like shallow DOF and quality of images (http://www.cinemek.com/?demos). All footage I see from Super 8 cameras are not as sharp and vivid color wise, but I like the super 8 format and it's look.

This is not a fair comparison. You are comparing arguably standard definition with an inherintly greater DOF to high definition with 35mm DOF and image quality.

The question is, what looks better to you, and what makes the most sense for what you want to make?

If you have very little money to spend, you're probably not in the market for a HD100 or an H1.

An aside, the DVX100a and b are standard def.

I took a look at the demo and it looks good. However I try not to be too critical of any web video whether shot in film or video because unless it specifies codecs and frames rates you may be comparing apples and oranges. One needs to compare video to video to really understand the differences. Just my 2 cents.

But I completely agree with Trevor. If it looks good and makes sense for your film, use whatever works for your project (DM says this all the time)

On a side not I just shot some Super 8 7218 and am looking forward to seeing the results.

Happy Holidays

Tim