Critique My Reel Please

After the conclusion of my first year of film school, I have gone about putting together my first demo reel and posted it. It still needs tightening up and I would like the input of the members of this community to help me go about doing so.

My reel can be viewed by clicking this link

It is all video, as I don't have the means to shoot on film just yet. I have two shorts scheduled to be shot on 16mm this summer.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at my work.

Nathan

seemed to long for the amount of footage and projects you had in it. didn't like the picture of you in the beging of it... Music worked...keep the shot of the punching bag in haze untill you get another like it thats beter. theres a very long outside dolly shot that shows some un-smoth camera operating...I under stand it was a long dolly but it felt way to long.

Vincent Pascoe

• 3 weeks later...
Your link didn't work for me - iWeb didn't recognize the address.

I have changed the reel a bit since I first posted this thread. When I did so the link that I posted in here became inactive.

If you are still interested, you can check it out here... http://web.mac.com/nathan_chaszeyka/iWeb/N...phy%20Reel.html

I have changed the reel a bit since I first posted this thread. When I did so the link that I posted in here became inactive.

If you are still interested, you can check it out here... http://web.mac.com/nathan_chaszeyka/iWeb/N...phy%20Reel.html

First of all, congrats on having the guts to put your work out there...it's not easy.

I would concur with previous comments-seems long. From an editorial standpoint there were several shots that I thought didn't work in the cut:

-Shot of you

-A man leads a woman to a corner by a bookcase. Seems a little sourcy from a lighting perspective.

-The kiss outside a trailer.

-Woman in a dark maroon suit walks across the room with a bag.

I personally think if you lost those and trimmed the sci fi action stuff to the absolute best stuff, It would be more engaging and leave them wanting more.

Good Luck

I would agree - shorter and sweeter is a better approach! I have to say, though obviously it's a personal thing that, I am not overly enamoured with your music track. And also some of your films repeat over the reel. Maybe you make your reel shorter so that it doesn't seem like you are rehashing the same footage, if you know what I mean.

All the best!

not bad at all, although it's not montage.

Eisenstein would roll over in his grave if he read your caption, if he could read english.

Just bustin your chops, I couldn't resist after two semesters of Soviet Film Theory at SFSU.

not a bad reel though, trim it down homie.