There Will Be Blood and Anamorphic Craziness

cal bickford

• Premium Member

Hi, I needed to know what was the 'Usual' lens (Brand name, size mm, etc.) used for the 1910 Pathe notion picture crank camera?

Thanks,

Many French movie cameras around this period had E.Krauss Tessars, licenced from Zeiss. Probably a 50mm f3.5.

But companies like Cooke, Dallmeyer, Ross, Zeiss and Goerz were also supplying lenses for the motion picture industry around that time, among others.

I don't recall any tilt-focus shots in "There Will Be Blood" -- more than likely, the theater wasn't properly projecting the movie. It's not unusual for scope projection to have problems holding sharp focus across the screen.

Panavision adapted the 45mm Arri slant-focus lens into a 90mm slant-focus anamorphic lens. I used it in some of my movies:

akeelah2.jpg

shadowboxerDVD8.jpg

Is there any difference between tilt-focus, shift & tilt focus and slant-focus?

Edited by Mathew Collins

• Premium Member

Technically, tilt is when the lens front angles up and down. Slant is angling side to side. Shift is sliding vertically or horizontally. Tilt and slant affect focus whereas shift affects field of view. In some designs like the Canon EF Tilt-Shift lenses, these functions are possible all at once. In other designs the lens may be limited to one or two movements.

Has this now become the general "ask a filmmaker" thread?

Thought it was about "There Will Be Blood," LOL.

I said "2 inch" but that would only have applied then to British Empire (Dominion of Canada, India, etc.) (was Cooke around?) and American interests. Pretty sure everyone else was metric already around that time. The Russians may have been using inches as well (they did for ammunition) but I think all the lens companies were continental Europe or North America.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can anyone comment on what the typical focal length was then? Just a general impression of silent from that era is that they tended to be wider than our normal, no such thing as zooms, a big use of vignetters, and they actually did the fade-in fade-out effects in-camera.

Pretty much everything was done in-camera in those days.

Technically, tilt is when the lens front angles up and down. Slant is angling side to side. Shift is sliding vertically or horizontally. Tilt and slant affect focus whereas shift affects field of view. In some designs like the Canon EF Tilt-Shift lenses, these functions are possible all at once. In other designs the lens may be limited to one or two movements.

Satsuki,

>Tilt and slant affect focus whereas shift affects field of view.

Could you explain it further?

Satsuki,

Don't take this in the wrong way, it's intended to be helpful.

This professional forum probably isn't the place for such basic optics questions. At the very best it will be a very slow process if you continually pick out one or two terms from someone else's post, ask a question, then pick out another couple from the answer and ask another.

It might be better if you read some material on the basics of photography. My bible was Langford's Basic Photography, but there may be more accessible books if you're in the US.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Don't take this in the wrong way, it's intended to be helpful.

This professional forum probably isn't the place for such basic optics questions. At the very best it will be a very slow process if you continually pick out one or two terms from someone else's post, ask a question, then pick out another couple from the answer and ask another.

It might be better if you read some material on the basics of photography. My bible was Langford's Basic Photography, but there may be more accessible books if you're in the US.

Thank you Mark for you suggestion. Before posting any question I used to search for the information. The information which i get from the members of the forum is valuable and helpful to clarify my understanding about motion picture photography and is not be available anywhere else.

• Premium Member

Satsuki,

It's rather complicated to explain the mechanics if you're not already familiar with some basic concepts of photographic imaging like perspective distortion and the image circle. This is a good basic overview with visual examples:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiltshift_photography