Trick Effect in "La Haine"

There's a scene in "La Haine" where the Vincent Cassel character is doing a Travis Bickle impersonation in front of a mirror. The camera starts out nearly directly behind him, and he is seemingly blocking where we would see the camera's reflection in the mirror. Then, he bends over for a moment and the camera dollies past him, staring (nearly) straight into the mirror, yet only Vinz's reflection is visible. It's a fairly wide lens, so I would think you *should* be able to see the camera.

Here's a crude link:

Any idea how this shot was done (and I believe there's a similar shot in "Jarhead," too)?

Thanks,

Colin

Yeah, if you look closely, the first time he throws his hand up and points his fingers like a gun, they're just barely out of sync. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. But a very memorable scene. I remember seeing this film for the first time years ago, and I was immediately taken in, loved it.

there are many other interesting tricks there. I kept wondering about one where you can clearly see a character rolling a cigar in close-up, in focus, and you still see La Tour Eiffel, with lights on, in the far background; and I could not detect any split focus effects.

most of all I was impressed by the poster at the beginning, with the Earth on it, that you later see on the streets to.

something else would be the use of color negative to produce such a pleasing BW image; and I can't imagine what process the used.

I kept thinking about the "La Haine" few years ago, when the riots in Paris broke out.

You can't get any better than this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...