info 2nd AC puts on mag and on the can

Hi,

I've seen 2nd AC's put gaffer tape on the camera mag and on the film can and write information on the gaffer tape but I can't remember what they wrote on them.

What information does the 2nd AC have to put on the mag and what information do you have to put on the film can once the roll is exposed?

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

• Premium Member

And frequently the mag number and "N/R" for new roll.

I'm not sure any of this information is ever actually used for anything, mind you. Theoretically it could be used to track down faults but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that nobody round here had ever actually done so!

P

Phil is correct. A lot of the recording a 2nd AC does is to cover the Camera Department's collective bums when something goes wrong in the lab and they try to pin it on us (it happens. Not a lot. But more often than I see an assistant producer without a faux hawk)

• Premium Member
thanks for your help.

So you put the same information on the camera mag and on the film can?

Yeah, usually when you download a shot mag you take the tape right off of the mag and stick it to the can.

• Premium Member
Yes, to trace back scratches to a particular mag.

Yup. Serial number, please. I don't mind labeling mags with tape for other purposes but when I'm tracking down a scratch, I want the number I'm looking for to be non-removable.

And frequently the mag number and "N/R" for new roll.

I'm not sure any of this information is ever actually used for anything, mind you. Theoretically it could be used to track down faults but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that nobody round here had ever actually done so!

P

I am also confused on neg reports - do labs actually need them? What for? Apart from checking what to do with neg (and they have tech spec sheet for this) and what ASA is the film (why not to check the label/camera tape with info written and attached to the can)?

I am also confused on neg reports - do labs actually need them? What for? Apart from checking what to do with neg (and they have tech spec sheet for this) and what ASA is the film (why not to check the label/camera tape with info written and attached to the can)?

Neg reports are generated by the labs. Do you mean camera reports? Don't forget that everything isn't always transferred to telecine. There is no need to transfer bad or uncircled takes when you go to print.

Neg reports are generated by the labs. Do you mean camera reports? Don't forget that everything isn't always transferred to telecine. There is no need to transfer bad or uncircled takes when you go to print.

http://ryanpatrickohara.blogspot.com/2008/...-right-way.html

This does not cover the mag ID strip, but it does cover lab reports and why it helps many people.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

May I ask one more question.

What information do you put on the camera report? Is it the same things as on the mag and on the can? And do you do that at the end of the day or every time a film roll is over?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Thanks everyone for all the help.

May I ask one more question.

What information do you put on the camera report? Is it the same things as on the mag and on the can? And do you do that at the end of the day or every time a film roll is over?

Thanks

The loader starts camera reports and they accompany the film when it's in the magazine, when it's in the camera (this is when the 2nd fills out most of the report), when it gets downloaded, and when it goes to post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
thanks for everyone's help.

I would just like to know one more thing: what does the 2nd AC write on the camera report?

Here is a pretty complete "life of a camera report" while it's on set. If you have any questions after reading this, just ask.

When the loader loads a mag, he will start the camera report, writing the roll number, stock, number of feet, production, and date. Some of these can be printed on reports if you ask a lab. Do it! It saves you time!

When a mag is threaded into the camera, the 2nd will start using the camera report for that mag. A camera report accompanies every single roll of film on a film set, all the time. For each take, he will keep a running total of the number of feet left on that roll and the approximate footage per take of a particular shot (there may or may not be a line for this, but the 2nd should know it or be able to quickly calculate it if asked, and you will be asked). When you do this, just round up to the next ten so 364' becomes 370'. It's close enough and prevents important takes being ruined because of rollouts.

As you go the scripty will tell you to circle takes or mark them NG (no good) and you'll do it. The reason for this is because when the camera report gets back to the loader and he is downloading the roll (or maybe at the end of the day if he's too busy), he will do some quick math and note at the bottom of the report how much of that roll was shot (this will tell anyone looking whether or not any was short ended), how much will be printed (circled takes), how much was NG, and how much was wasted threading the roll or for other things (the infamous "mag test" for example).

When you deliver exposed rolls to production at the end of the day, you should deliver with it a pile of original copies of reports to be sent to the lab and a stack of 1st carbon copies to go to production. You keep the 2nd carbon copy for the camera department. If my reports only have one carbon copy, I'll keep it for camera dept. and include a note with the originals that a copy should be made and kept for production. Whether or not they do this I don't really care, but I remind them anyway.

Aside from the information, there is also the color of the tape. The colors vary from here and there but I believe the general concept goes like this:

Red - Tungsten above ASA250

Yelow - Tungsten under ASA250

Blue - Daylight

This combined with the info gives the lab everything they need...and yes, it covers our ass when the blame game comes when there is a mistake.

I JUST STARTED USEING TRAILCAMS LAST YEAR I HAVE HAD A TON OF PICS WITH DUMPED CORN BUT NO BUCKS JUST 50 TO 70 PICS OF DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHTS ON TO FIND THE BUCKS IN MY AREA I KNOW THEY ARE THERE JUST CANT GET THEM ON CAMERA

• Premium Member
I JUST STARTED USEING TRAILCAMS LAST YEAR I HAVE HAD A TON OF PICS WITH DUMPED CORN BUT NO BUCKS JUST 50 TO 70 PICS OF DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHTS ON TO FIND THE BUCKS IN MY AREA I KNOW THEY ARE THERE JUST CANT GET THEM ON CAMERA

1. I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you please rephrase your question in a coherent format that more closely resembles intelligent English?

2. This forum requires members to post using their real, full names. Please go to the "My Controls" link at the top of the forum page and change your display name to your full name.