high definition tvs?

Trevor Masid

• Premium Member

Best for your money, after seeing just about all of them and having a connection to a top US HDTV sales guy for further counsel:

Panasonic Viera. Get a THX version if you can. No tricks, no gimmicks.

Pop in a bluray of Watchmen or New World and near perfection comes home.

• Premium Member
Best for your money, after seeing just about all of them and having a connection to a top US HDTV sales guy for further counsel:

Panasonic Viera. Get a THX version if you can. No tricks, no gimmicks.

Pop in a bluray of Watchmen or New World and near perfection comes home.

The Panasonic Viera plasma screens are very nice, especially with Blu-Ray. I would recommend them also.

I still swear by my Sony 34" CRT HDTV. Gorgeous picture, better than anything else out there. True blacks, crisp image, and all the reliability of a tube

I live in a small 1BR apartment, so it's the perfect screen size, but if they made a 50" CRT (NOT rear projection), I'd go for it, I don't care how much it weighs :)

• Premium Member

My 26", JVC display monitor (halfway in cost between a consumer TV and a studio monitor) is about ten years old and still looks very good. I can see big flat screens in the stores that have certain characteristics that are impressive. But, few to none really seem to deliver a total, balanced image that can match this JVC CRT. Maybe, it's just that I'm used to it and won't allow my brain to accommodate these other display technologies. Or, maybe, a really good CRT still looks better than they do.

Film not looking like film anymore is just another idea that takes some getting used to. Once the mind gets conditioned or brain washed to the new paridigm then it becomes mainstream and it becomes what people expect. After consumers get conditioned by watching decades of 120 hertz television it will be tough for them to be able to go back to watching a movie at 24 frames per second without it looking odd. It would be just like us trying to watch an old movie that was handcranked at 18 frames per second.

Yes. A few weeks ago I was having this same discussion with someone else who also still appreciates film. And it's true, today's young generation will associate the ultra-slick sterile HD look as being normal and the standard for fictional narrative films (along with many other types of programs). And I do feel that is a shame.

But as much a believer in film that I am, I do realize that it's probably the same reason why we (those of us who prefer film over HD) think film should prevail - because that's how we also associated fictional narrative films to look. We were conditioned that way.

I also believe it is a biological thing - in the same way different people biologically interpret food and smells in different ways. It may be an involuntary preference - our eyes and how the brain receives the image does not all work the same exact way.

• Premium Member

I went with a 58" Samsung plasma after comparing one in real time with a 58" Pioneer plasma. The pictures were close to identical but the Samsung was a $1,500 cheaper bought off the Internet from BHPhotovideo.com. Shopping Best Buy while comparison shopping prices on the Internet with your Smartphone p*sses off the help but sure can save one a bundle.

Keep in mind plasma's have a very large viewing angle but an LCD's pictures start to degrade when you get off axis. That may be important to you if you've got a wide angle viewing area.