exposure for fireworks

• Premium Member

The last time I shot fireworks I was on my rooftop looking at a stadium a few blocks down on the EX1. And, I recall shooting it at -3db gain at a F1.9, so wide open. I would say for the most part, fireworks a bit off in the distance will be wide open on film or video, somewhere in the range of a 1.4~2.8. Basically you have to eyeball it while you're there; but trust in the fact that since it's against a black sky you'll see something so long as the iris is a bit open. Now, how much detail you want to hold in your highlights is up to you; and some of the fireworks will be much brighter/bigger than others. I am assuming you're shooting video for this, so you'll be able to tell really quickly off of your histogram/zebras if you're in the ballpark exposure wise. Were I shooting film, I'd probably, in lieu of testing (highly recommended) roll 500T @320 'round a 2/2.8 knowing that I have a lot of room in the highlights to recover detail.

they will launch 5 to 6 fireworks all different but no chance for one to test. im shooting on the Canon 5D 400 ASA so basicly i'll be full open and just rearrange my exposure after the 1st firework. i was just wondering how would they do it on film.

thanks adrian (Y)