Anamorphic Canon 814 XLS

Jeremy Day

I have a Canon 814XLS. I have always wondered if a Century Optics or Optex anamorphic lens Adapter would work on a Super-8 camera. I believe I have seen the question posed before but there never seems to be an answer.

I have no interest in buying a Kowa lens. Anyone know the answer?

The Optex has a 1.33 squeeze against the full 2x of the Kowa, so it depends what you're after.

The rear element is a similar size so vignetting should be about the same.

If you change your mind I do have a Kowa 8Z with the essential rotating adapter and am open to sensible offers.

A friend of mine has used a Panasonic anamorphic adapter (for the AG-DVX 100) whit a squeeze ratio of 1.33x on his Canon Scoopic DS8 and it worked quiet well.

But he had to build something to hold the lens, in order it would not turn with the lens, when fokusing (he modified for this a BOLEX H16 Mattebox).

daniel

I have a Canon 814XLS. I have always wondered if a Century Optics or Optex anamorphic lens Adapter would work on a Super-8 camera. I believe I have seen the question posed before but there never seems to be an answer.

I have no interest in buying a Kowa lens. Anyone know the answer?

The Super 8 film gate has a 1:1.33 aspect ratio. If you place the Century or Optex 16x9 anamorphic adapter infront of the lens the aspect ratio becomes 1:1.78 (16x9). Now, if you have the gate modified to Super Duper 8 or Max 8 , and then apply the Optex adapter - THE ASPECT RATIO WILL BE CLOSER TO 2:35 ( 2X).

Mark, I'd rather not purchase a Kowa as the Canon 814xls has too big of a lens. I was hoping to find something that would work with this specific camera.

I have considered modifying to Super Duper 8 and using an anamorphic lens. I think I might give it a try. Thanks for the input all.