Fluid Head / Tripod System for XTR Prod

Hello,

I am shooting something on an Aaton XTR Prod, and am looking for a good general purpose support system for it. I was looking at the Sachtler video 20 line (the 20P?), but have heard that it is sometimes considered a notch beneath what's needed for film work, and that the 25's are better suited to bear a super 16 system. I am looking to get it used and the 25 have not been showing up as frequently. Unfortunately too, some of the O'Connor heads that have been recommended are a bit above what we are are able to spend. We are hoping to get the head and legs used for $5000 or under. If anyone can attest to using the Sachtler video 18 or 20 with success in this area, then I'd be interested to know more about that, or to hear other recommendations. Thanks very much,

Isaac

It depends what type films you wish to shoot. The Video 20 is a very capable head, often used for documentary and general TV productions, but it'll handle a Aaton XTR no problem. People used these heads when the Aaton was a bog standard workhorse for TV. With the Video 25, you may have to use a means of mounting the camera further forward than head's own quick release plate allows, this is so that you can balance the camera on the head.

The Ronford F7 is very nice with the Aaton, but it's rather heavy.

Brian,

Thanks very much. I'm doing some doc work but am also planning a narrative feature that will most likely be shot with the XTR. Really what I'm hoping for is something that can handle most detailed / smooth shots, and not buckle under the prod and its accessories. It would be nice to have something light, another reason for the Sachtler.

Isaac

I just finished working on a short where we were using a Sachtler Video 18 with the XTR Prod. It was a pretty bare-bones kit (body, onboard battery, 400ft mag, and Zeiss Distagons), but we still had plenty of capacity left on the head. I think we were only on step 2 of 5 on the counterbalance. The few times I actually got behind the head, it seemed quite nice. (I was doing Steadicam on the shoot, so I didn't have much time behind the actual sticks!) I'm sure an OConnor would have been a step up, but the Video 18 was within the rental budget, and worked out fine.

Go to a local rental house, bring the camera, and try it out. That's how we ended up with our sticks.