Shutter angle on old Bolex

Ben McArthur

I have an old Bolex H16, parallax, which I believe was made around the early 50s. It is very basic and does not have a variable shutter, reflex viewfinder, or filter slot.Does anyone know the exact shutter angle on this is so I can properly set my lightmeter? Thanks!

• Premium Member

As far as I know, it goes like this:

The first Bolexes, up to serial number 100400, have a shutter angle of 192 degrees.

From serial no's 100401 to 195800 (1954 to 1961) they have a shutter angle of 143 degrees.

In 1962, a few years after variable shutters had been introduced, it was further reduced to 130 degrees.

EL and EBM models are 170 degrees.

im PRETTY sure the non viewfinder non vari shutter bolexes are 144. but shoot a card and check it.

edit: go here: http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/h16.html i think this stuff is pretty accurate. link is to a very early model. check out one in your age range. serial number date ranges at the bottom of the pages.

Edited by steve waschka

• 4 years later...
  • Premium Member

Here’s what I could gather.

• The Geneva Bolex Auto-Cine cameras have a drum shutter with an equivalent opening of 144 degrees.

• Paillard-Bolex H-16 and H-9 from serial number 7501 to 100,400 and H-8 to SN 97,800 have a cardioid actuated spring-loaded claw and a 190 degrees disc shutter. The actual opening angle is 192 degrees but Paillard reckoned with 190 due to the standing away from the aperture. 200 degrees was stated with the first advertisements in the USA (Movie Makers, January 1937). Lateral film guidance complies to standards. H-16 locates film in the +3 perforation hole, H-8 in position +5.

• Paillard-Bolex H-16 and H-8 from SN 100,401 and 97,801 on, respectively, have a friction-driven “flung-on” claw and a balanced 170 degrees shutter. Lateral film guidance inverted since then. H-8 locates +3 since then

• Paillard-Bolex H-16 Reflex have a 165 degrees shutter. SN 116,001 and up

• H-16 Reflex with variable shutter have 144 degrees full open angle. SN 162,306 and up

• H-8 Reflex VS ditto

• H-16 and H-8 Reflex VS 135 degrees full open angle from SN 202,??? on

The pocket cameras B8, C8, D8 have 165 degrees shutter opening angle, the VS versions 135 degrees. Register +3

Lateral film guidance according to standards