Still can't wrap my brain around the practical application of that. Rack focusing a background from sharp to soft during a shot just feels odd. Like draining out the color during the shot. Yeah, it'd be interesting but it'll probably go the way of the "dolly back, zoom in" type of shot. Special occasions.

Very cool! I can think of a bunch of shots where this could be a really engaging way to do them.

Yes, another toy - one whose effect has quite an unnatural, even jarring feel about it. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it being used aesthetically, but I'll pass for now.

There is an old Jon Fauer promotional/educational video for the Arricam system that featured the same effect. In that case he was showing off the Arricam's ability to ramp the shutter during an iris pull. Of course, that presupposes that the shutter angle changing wouldn't negatively affect the motion in your shot.

The nice thing about this new device is that you could spin the iris through a 7-stop change if you have enough light for it and compensate exposure-wise with the pola -- with the shutter angle method, you'd more or less be working within the 45 to 180 degree range, which is just 2-stops, which isn't as strong an effect on depth of field (though probably more practical in terms of light level for interiors.)

The only thing that I'm concerned about is how the two polarisers would work with faces when those faces are moving through different places.

Other than that, it looks interesting!

Going to check out the cinefade at ARRI CSC tomorrow - hopefully wrap my head around it, I've seen Cinefade Technicians credited on some recent movies, they must be just pulling the iris