Bolex viewfinder problem

Youngjae Lih

Sorry for repeating. I think this is more proper to be here.

-

Hello,

Recently I bought the bolex H16 rex5. But I am not sure if the viewfinder is okay. From its appearance it is 10x viewfinder. Hope I can get some advices from seniors here.

First of all it has lever on the side but I can see the image very well when it is vertical position! And the horizontal position, it become very dark. But still I can see the image and specially bottom 30% parts become really dark.

When I remove the lens and rotate turret, from the front side I can recognize lights through the prism glass. The light comes from viewfinder behind(usually where my eye should place there), so I can imagine the film will be damaged if I put the lever vertical position. When I change the lever horizontal position, I can sense from the front side the light is blocked somehow. Actually still I can see the dark image through the viewfinder.

Also what I found strange is, when I turn the lever horizontal position I have to rotate lever forward direction(lens side, not to the eye side). I checked all bolex images, it seems completely opposite from other cameras or manual pictures.

Here the summaries and my questions,

1. Is it possible the viewfinder lever works the other way around that horizontal position is closed but vertical position is openning the view?

2. Even if it is possible, but is it still normal that I can see the darken images through the closed viewfinder?(horizontal)

3. If the viewfinder has a problem, can I use the side-attachable viewfinder instead of this?(if so, I might block original viewfinder to avoid fogging damages)

Thanks for reading,

Best,yj

The problem is that someone forced the lever the wrong way and bent the light baffle plate inside.

When the lever is down, the baffle must also be down.

After removing the 4 screws, lift up the top of the viewfinder tube and you will see what I mean.

The baffle plate is easily bent and also easy to bend back to it's proper position.

Jean-Louis

• Upvote 1

Dear Jean-Louis

Thank you for reply, now everything seems clear. Just one more question before I start to dismantle it. I think I know what you mean 4 screws on top. Because it is rex5 model, it has magazine instrumdnt on top side and i wonder if I have to dismantle it first, or it is possible that I can dismantle viewfinder top plate only. I was considering to disassemble it but was afraid if it is way too complicated for me.

All best

YJ

• Premium Member

You don't need to remove the magazine saddle, there is a hole that lets you fit a screwdriver through to undo the one covered screw for the viewfinder cover. It does need a longish, thin screwdriver shank though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You don't need to remove the magazine saddle, there is a hole that lets you fit a screwdriver through to undo the one covered screw for the viewfinder cover. It does need a longish, thin screwdriver shank though.

Hi Dom, what generally about the viewfinder? People are saying the Bolex viewfinder is very dark so it's making It almost impossible to focus in darker interiors. Is that true?

• Premium Member

Who shoots in darker interiors?

In earnest, the Paillard-Bolex prism finder system is less bright than mirror systems.

You deal with about a fifth of the light compared to an Arriflex. It’s not a professional

camera. To overcome the focus problem in low light situations with Paillard-Bolex

you have a number of choices:

1. Use a standard model that has the critical focusing prism behind the upper lens port. 100 % light on ground prism
  2. Find an Ambol Cine Focus accessory. Split-image lens coupled rangefinder, Switar 25
  3. Find a Bell & Howell focusing microscope that lets you focus a C-mount lens. 100 % light on ground glass
  4. Use a reflex finder zoom lens. Not much brighter than the RX finder however but split-image precision
  5. Find an Elgeet Cine-Flex 16 accessory and use a measuring tape
  6. Laserbrighten your RX camera
  7. Use very fast lenses. Maximum available with C mount is f/0.95 (Angénieux, Berthiot, Schneider,

“Carl Meyer”, Zeika, Japan Navitar, Canon, Astroscope, Dallmeyer f/0.98)