8mm help

Andrew Szmauz

hey guys,

I recently got into 8mm film making. i specialize in the avant-gard and experimental side of the art form. I have very limited resources and experience with it though. if anyone could tell me the best places to get film, and get that developed. where the best place to get editing tape; so on and so on. I'm a musician by trade and write film scores. i've only ever made digital recorded movies, so film is some what new to me. I have the 8mm camera and projector already and one roll of film. i just need your help. Hans Richter is my hero

Edited by Andrew Szmauz

Are you using Super 8 that comes in a cartridge or regular 8mm that is on a reel? Super 8 is a current format and very easy to deal with. Regular 8 is a bit more rare and harder to find supplies and processing. Cinelab, in Fall River, MA can process and transfer if needed, black and white as well as color Super 8 film. I would suggest you contact them to ask about regular 8mm. You are in great company with Cinelab. Other local experimental film makers use them a great deal; Rob Todd, Saul Levine, Tracey MacCullion.....etc..

This quick ebay search yielded many results for splicing tape

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X8mm+splic.TRS0&_nkw=8mm+splicing+tape&_sacat=0

Are you using Super 8 that comes in a cartridge or regular 8mm that is on a reel? Super 8 is a current format and very easy to deal with. Regular 8 is a bit more rare and harder to find supplies and processing. Cinelab, in Fall River, MA can process and transfer if needed, black and white as well as color Super 8 film. I would suggest you contact them to ask about regular 8mm. You are in great company with Cinelab. Other local experimental film makers use them a great deal; Rob Todd, Saul Levine, Tracey MacCullion.....etc..

This quick ebay search yielded many results for splicing tape

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X8mm+splic.TRS0&_nkw=8mm+splicing+tape&_sacat=0

thank you very much. im using a Keystone k25 capri, so i think its regular 8mm because its not a cartridge. although it has perfs on both sides. so Im not sure what kind of 8mm it is. Also, i live in New Hampshire, so Im about an Hour and a half from Fall River!

• Premium Member