Cartridge with Modern ratings on older camera?

Jean-Sebastien Marsolais

Hi!

My grandparents gave me a couple of years ago a screen and a box filled with super 8mm films, a projector and a camera.

The camera is an Hanimax Loadmatic M200. There's a company in Canada (Niagara Custom Labs) that sells some super 8 cartridge. I will be buying a Black & White Reversal Kodak Tri-X 200D cartridge to give it a test run.

The mechanism seems in perfect working order (I've put battery in it and pressed the trigger and everything started rolling). My question is the following: Will my camera be able to handle the cartridge with the modern rating? In other words: will the
Black & White Reversal Kodak Tri-X 200D cartridge work with my Hanimax Loadmatic M200?

Thanks for your time,
JS

Hi, sadly the HANIMEX Loadmatic M200 is a very basic camera made by the Haking Camera Corp in Hong Kong, and was made under a variety of names: GAF, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Chinon, etc. It was also sold under the Australian Hanimex company world-wide. This is the somewhat upgraded version of the fixed lens model since this had a manual zoom lens added (non-SLR) viewfinder type. It's built in light meter was intended for use only with Tungsten 40/Daylight 25 (with Filter) filmstock, which was available from KODAK (Kodachrome), AGFA(Agfachrome 40), ANSCO (Anscochrome 40) and some others). In the right lighting situation, you could use TRI-X 200 in it, but you'd have to use a separate light meter to know that you are within exposure range. The camera's shutterspeed at 18frames per second is about 1/40th second, and factor in the lens being at wide open, F/2.2 I believe but examine your camera for that. Setting a light meter for ISO 200, you can film once the light levels show an equivalent exposure range of 1/40 @ F/2.2. You could also cover the external meter window with black tape so the lens will stay fixed wide open, and use Neutral Density Filters over the lens to decrease the light to equivalent exposure F/Stop levels of F/4.5, F/5.6, F/8 etc....but it would be far easier, better, and better image quality to just find a much better Super 8mm camera. Best of luck, hope this helps shed more light on the situation for you.