Lots of discussion on the why of shooting with an iPhone, but I'm wondering about how. As in how do you create lighting that will let you get a good meaty picture and lots of subject separation using an iPhone. Expressiveness is a topic for another day.

Specifically where would you start with light levels, ratios, color temps, and the rest? I presume you would set light levels so the camera could be shot at its native ISO value, but beyond that:

Would you go very hard source light? Ultra diffused? Religiously keep your ratios at 2:1 or eliminate the fill and let the shadows fall where they may? How about colors? With the limitations of the iPhone sensor would it be best to define shapes with contrasting colors (solid-colored costumes against relatively plain cool backgrounds) or would it be better to keep everything homogeneous (beige on beige on beige).

I would figure out what the film/project at hand needed in terms of look and style and then work how to get that out of the iphone via some testing.

(of note, I don't own and actually cannot work an iphone or any "i" thing though I'm find with OsX so far)

I think anyone who shot SD digital in the late 90's early 00's would be fine. The iphone after all is luxury to compared to cameras (PD150/XL1) that many indie filmmakers had to do battle with.