Michael Johnson

Canon 1014 xl-s frame rate

Hello. I just picked up a Canon 1014 xls and it seems like the frame rate is stuck. The gate speed does not change when I turn the dial however the slow motion button does work when pressed. I didn't see this issue with any other camera on the forum. Anyone have any insight? I believe it's stuck at 9 fps

The speed control button can get jammed internally. I have had two 1014XL-Ss that were stuck at 24fps and an 814XL-S stuck at 18fps. It is a fixable issue but honestly not a very cost effective path to take. 

After emailing around, it seems to be a costly and common issue where the dial contacts break or wear out. The difficult part comes from getting to the dial which requires freeing the PCB from a nest of wires and soldered on contacts. According to one person I talked to, a "donor" board is required to fix the problem but unless the issue involves some sort of proprietary or obsolete IC, I don't think that would be the case. 

I found a dead link to a site with visual guide to get into the 1014 XL-S and (sort of) how to perform the repair. Fortunately it was archived and I could visit it with the Wayback Machine. 

Here's the link in case anyone needs it: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20170915060308/http://www.nakanocam.com/8mm_page/canon1014xl-sfps.html

I knew of this problem that presents with the 1014 xl-s. However, it is an expensive camera, if one were to find the "donor" I think it would be appropriate. Perhaps, it would be better to send at a laboratory, which may have a spare board or old spare parts cameras.
If the repair costs a lot, obviously, it's not convenient.