direct to hard drive recording

Julianthebruce

I am very new to the world of recording directly to a hard drive via a firewire cable. I have been told that with the HVX200, i would be able to use a regular 7200rpm external firewire hard drive designed for use with a computer, to record HD footage from the camera. I have also been told that this can be done without any P2 card in the camera. This all seems far to good to be true, but if i could record HD footage with a $300 hard drive (so long as i had a ac outlet nearby), I would purchase the camera without any P2 cards and wait for the price to drop on SD memory before before i got one of the huge cards. So again the type of hard drive that i am hoping to use is a LaCie D2 7200rpm with a tansfer rate of 64MB per second, and not a fire store hard drive that would cost much more. I am quite certain it would be impossible to record 1080@24p, but if i could record the 720@24p i would still be very stoked. Thanks for bearing with my ignorance on this subject.

You cannot record any footage directly to an off-the-shelf exernal hard drive with the AG-HVX200. You can record to P2 and then copy the contents of your shoot, via firewire, to an off-the-shelf hard drive. The other alternative is to record directly to a hard drive with an intelligent controller chip inside, like the upcoming FireStore product, which will allow you to bypass using P2. This is also presumably connected through firewire, but has not yet been confirmed. Also, it is unknown whether or not the FireStore drive will allow you to take advantage of some of the P2's great features like instant access, thumbnail clips on the LCD, and the additional metadata that accompanies clips and is recorded to the card. The FireStore will be available for around $2,000; slightly more than the 8GB P2 offering. The USB 2.0 connection on the camera cannot be used to record live footage or copy from the P2 cards to an of-the-shelf drive; rather it is used to connect to a computer where the contents of the P2 cards show up as an external hard drive and can easily be copied to the laptop or other external hard drive. The final recording option is to connect the camera via firewire to a laptop or desktop computer, and use the NLE's "capture now" setting to stream the live content directly to the computer's hard disk. This allows for virtually unlimited recording, but carries the disadvatage of having to be tethered to a computer. This is useful for event footage where the camera must be stationary for extended periods of time, but not useful for active situations where the camera must be mobile.

• 1 month later...
Any word on P2 slot-to-cable technology? Since the P2 is really just an upgraded PCMCIA slot, one could conceivably use the p2 slot as a plug to a cable, similar to laptop DAW hardware.

Was at a conference where both Panasonic and FOCUS had booths. I asked them these exact questions. Answer is yes to both. Focus Firestore will allow you to access the media just like you would on a P2 card and view the clips on the camera LCD...not on the Firestore, which would be cool...but then its a portable media device (out of the product's scope).

As for the PCMIA slots...P2 can go in an PC or Mac slot...like on the powerbook. From what I've heard they still need the driver for the powerbook though...so at present time, no...can't put in pb PCMIA slot...will be quite handy when it does.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Also, it is unknown whether or not the FireStore drive will allow you to take advantage of some of the P2's

> great features like instant access, thumbnail clips on the LCD, and the additional metadata that accompanies

> clips and is recorded to the card

It is also unknown whether or not the FireStore drive will allow you to avoid the disadvantages of some of the P2's godawful problems, such as nonsensical clip naming...

Phil

Hi,

With respect, Jan has been very busy and has not yet had the time to answer Phil's outstanding questions!

Stephen

To the contrary, nonsensical clip naming is a feature that Jan confirmed long ago. :)

P.S. - Did you ever get my PM, Stephen? I never know if these things go through...

• Premium Member
To the contrary, nonsensical clip naming is a feature that Jan confirmed long ago. :)

P.S. - Did you ever get my PM, Stephen? I never know if these things go through...

Hi,

I was hoping for a soloution from Panasonic. The camera looks very cool, I hope to test one soon!

I did get the PM, Thanks.

All the best

Stephen

As for the PCMIA slots...P2 can go in an PC or Mac slot...like on the powerbook. From what I've heard they still need the driver for the powerbook though...so at present time, no...can't put in pb PCMIA slot...will be quite handy when it does.

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant use the PCMCIA slot as the interface between your camera and your computer, go directly to laptop instead of loading and unloading P2 cards.

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant use the PCMCIA slot as the interface between your camera and your computer, go directly to laptop instead of loading and unloading P2 cards.

I haven't heard of a direct cam-to-comp cable that uses the P2 slot (yet), however there is a DTE product in development that uses the P2 slot called the Cineporter. From what I've read, it looks as if there will be several models, each with a successively larger hard drive. As far as practical design goes, I think it's a much smarter product that the firestore, especially since it records all the extra P2 metadata. Packs a wallop on the wallet though.

Here's some links:

http://www.spec-comm.com/cineporter.php

http://www.p2info.net/articles/misc/cineportercp2.php

• Premium Member

Just to make things more "interesting", Apple's new "MacBook Pro" laptop computer announced yesterday does not include a standard PCMCIA slot. Instead is has a relatively new type of slot called "ExpressCard/34".

The "34" is significant, because cards of this size (34mm) are almost non-existant. For example, it's different from a P2 card, or any shipping Firewire-800 card, and so forth.

So, until someone ships some sort of (external? dongle?) adapter, P2 cards can't be used with Apple's new laptop, and very likely not future versions of their laptops either.

Aside from the issue of the physical size and shape of cards and slot is the always-exciting issue of _driver_ software. I'm guessing Apple's new Intel and slot hardware may require new device drivers, but whether these are something Apple will provide or 3rd parties (such as Panasonic, LaCie, AJA, BlackMagic/Decklink, and so forth) remains to be seen.

It'll be "interesting" to see how this sorts itself out between now and NAB this Spring.

• Premium Member
Hi,

Well, you can always boot the MacBook into Windows. I should imagine they'll share data space.

Who's planning on NAB? I am. Jan Crittenden will be there.

Arf. Arf. Arf.

Phil

Phil,

If you ask her nicely, I am sure she would give a permanant loan of any P2 camera you wanted!

Stephen