Focus problems

Greetings to all forum users.

Here's my "little" problem: I have a 16mm Beaulieu movie camera, whose viewfinder doesn't shine brightly (excuse the pun). In addition, my eyesight is unfortunately not perfect.
The result is that it is not easy for me to focus correctly on the framed scene, the result is that then some of my shots show an annoying blur.

So I would like to ask you if there is a device to put in front of the viewfinder of the camera, which allows me an enlarged view of the viewfinder image, in order to perform a perfect focus (I have seen, for example, that for analogic reflex cameras there are corner viewfinders with magnification of 2x and above, which unfortunately I can not use on my film camera).

Thank you in advance.

There is usually a knob/barrel for adjusting for individual eyesight on film cameras. In the case of the Beaulieu, it should around the viewfinder eyepiece. However, I gather it has a range of +2 to -2 diopters, so if you're outside that range you may need an extra correction lens.

They used to have these for the viewfinders on DSLR cameras, which is an option worth exploring. Your optometrist may be able to assist in finding the required correction.

This thread may assist:

Beau viewfinder adjustment.jpg

Edited by Brian Drysdale
  • Like 1

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply.

But my problem is not about the diopter adjustment of the viewfinder, which is ok, but the fact of having the image in the viewfinder magnified, in the central area by at least 2x, in order to focus with maximum precision. For example, putting some kind of "magnifying glass" or something like that in front of the viewfinder, which magnifies the viewfinder image by at least 2 times.

This would help me above all to focus correctly in cases of low light shooting, where I have to use wide apertures (and therefore, with very shallow depth of field)

• Premium Member

You can give me the Beaulieu for a cleaning of the finder optics.

If it doesn’t have to be Beaulieu, I can adjust an Ambol Cine-Focus for you on a Paillard-Bolex H-16 with Switar 25 mm, f/1.4. That’s a split-image rangefinder coupled to the lens, very precise.

You have a 15 times magnification of the scene with a Bell & Howell Filmo 70-DA and the later models. The lens is rotated on the turret to one side of the camera, after focusing to the other for exposure. The Filmo’s critical focuser is used with glasses or contacts.

Yet another solution may be a reflex zoom lens with a split-image focusing screen incorporated, a Pan-Cinor by Berthiot f. ex.

Hi!

For many 35mm still photography cameras there have been special viewfinder magnifiers, e.g. this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/234516-REG/Leica_12004_Viewfinder_Magnifier_1_25x_for.html

But I have not seen anything like this for your Beaulieu. The only accessory that comes to my mind is the „angle viewfinder“ that includes a small magnification, too. But it will change your way of working.

I remember a generic viewfinder magnifier made by Seagull (China), a company that obviously went bankrupt 10 or more years ago. It came with some adapters that made it attachable to e.g. a Minolta Dynax 5 and a Fujica ZC1000 (like Seagull’s generic angle viewfinder). But I don’t know whether it came with a matching adapter for your Beaulieu. And if I remember correctly, at least on the Dynax 5, only 90% of the camera‘s viewfinder was visible. So some information, that was displayed at the viewfinder’s border, wasn’t visible with this magnifier anymore. 

Thanks Simon and Joerg for the replies.

I had already evaluated the possibility of using an angular viewfinder, with magnification, of those used for reflex cameras. I think the least difficult solution is to adapt one of these angle viewfinder to the Beaulieu viewfinder.

Perhaps I could use the angle finder by simply "putting it in contact" it with the cinecamera viewfinder while focusing, and then putting it away again.

Hello,

My two cents worth:  Try to find an Optometrist who is into photography.  He is the best chance you might have for solving the problem both of magnified view and convenient full frame viewing.

Imperfect memory being what it is, I seem to recall that the eyepiece tube is threaded.  With a change of optics, maybe the Doctor can prescribe and have made, not a "rube goldberg" contraption attached to viewfinder, but an integrated and useful option for all who must occasionally peer thru it.

Admittedly, only you know how much you are committed to using this camera, so you will have to weigh the "cost vs. utility"/"return on investment" aspect of my suggestion.  

Hope this helps.