Krasnogorsk-3 K-3 noise question

Richard Bragg

I am new to using the K3.  Mine seems really noisy.  Like a buzzing, or zipping sound when it rolls.  Is this normal?  It runs OK, I'm just wondering if this kind of noise is normal for this camera.  It's not "purring" for sure.

• Premium Member
On 8/22/2023 at 1:35 AM, Richard Bragg said:

I am new to using the K3.  Mine seems really noisy.  Like a buzzing, or zipping sound when it rolls.  Is this normal?  It runs OK, I'm just wondering if this kind of noise is normal for this camera.  It's not "purring" for sure.

It is always helpful to post a short video (at least from 20 to 30 seconds, does not hurt to be longer video but really short clips are not helpful) of what the camera sounds like. With mechanical devices it is often possible to guess what might be the problem when hearing the running noise both with and without film. if the noise is present without the door, then make the video without door so that the sound can be heard better.

The Krasnogorsk cameras are often relatively simple to diy service to usable condition though getting them to absolutely perfect condition needs a real technician and is often not practical for it costing too much compared to the low price of the camera. But finding the problem first is helpful to estimate what could be done to it on a budget

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 5:56 PM, Richard Bragg said:

Thanks, I think it's fine.  Just allot noisier than I thought it would be.  Also I had a takeup spool that was a bit warped...

Beware- a warped spool may not be light-tight outside the camera. If it is a plastic microfilm spool, as Simon mentions, the risk is even greater.

• Like 1