obscure high speed cameras

Matthew Pothier

Hey all not sure where to post this but I have a commercial end of month and the director is looking to shoot with some pretty hard to find gear. I am based in LA so if anyone knows where I could find some of this stuff it would be super helpful.

First up is a high speed VHS or tube camera. I found one on ebay that shoots 1000fps to vhs here. Does anyone know if I could rent this or something similar anywhere? Or does anyone have some footage of something shot in a similar format? really hard to find info on it 

second would be a photosonics highspeed 16mm camera, preferable with a PL mount, having a hard time finding a rental in LA. something like this

Also shooting vista vision, if anyone knows of a nikon mounted one availabe in LA please let me know, I found one at Geofilm thats PV mount that could work

Lastly any guess on what the shot this music video on?

Appreciate the help!

The NAC won't get you anywhere without the matching recorder and camera control unit.

We used the 200pps version 30+years ago. The camera was only part of the system, which came on its own trolley. The recording only plays on the special machine, it's not compatible with standard VHS, which is irrelevant now of course, but who knows how you'd transfer it to digital for editing.

16mm. may be your best bet if you can find a Photosonics or a Redlake Locam, which runs to 500. There's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254642287050

but the listing doesn't include the control box and coax lead, which is essential. The NAC E-10 rotating prism cameras run up to 20k pps but the quality is quite a bit lower. No idea where you'd find one now.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Thanks Mark!

yeah I have come across the entire cart situation for the NAC camera, have no idea how i would transfer that to digital, and not really trying to spend 1000$ to experiment. Ideally I would love to find a rental house that has been around forever that still has something of the sort in the back somewhere. Doesnt need to be VHS, just looking for a stylized early slowmo technology for an ultra stylized commercial.  

Does anyone know where these used to be rented out from?

• Premium Member

You could ask around various equipment dealers to see if they happen to have a dynamic TBC (time base corrector).

It was kind of a "poor man's slow-mo" that allowed you to vary playback frame rates; usually from a U-Matic 3/4 inch video playback machine.

It won't do anything but vary the interval between existing frames (no synthesis of images) but it was a workable substitute for real, high frame rate slow-mo.

I used it to replay horse race finishes at a race track on a Sony Jumbotron early in my career. 

God I am old...