Kodak 16 mm edge code assistance

Hello,

I've been collecting 35 mm for several years but have recently starting collecting 16 mm film. I would like to identify the type and manufacturing date of some Kodak film on a reel I just acquired. It's single perforation 16 mm, with sound, and the area above the sprockets has the following every foot or so: "Kodak SP  ◻◻ 70". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

David

The two box code is probably 1980, assuming it's not 1960 or 1940!

According to this

https://www.paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm

the SP is for "special process"  print stock. I don't know about the "70"- my 1987 VNF has "75". It may be a specification number referring to a particular pitch length, perforation or packaging.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Thanks for the help -- much appreciated. The boxes are open (not filled in) but I think the 1980 year makes sense.

On a related note, was it common for 16 mm film in the 1960s-1970s  not to have any edge code? I have a couple of reels with film that show no markings.

David

The shapes are often just in outline, yes. In the Keykode era, a pair of letters are used instead of shapes, starting with DE in 1989.

https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/page/keykode-id-table/

I think Kodak would always have been edge numbered- it's indispensable for neg cutting.

However, I do have a spare roll of rushes from 1981 that were misprinted without edge numbers- the roll had to be reprinted as it would have been impossible to match the workprint with the neg. The rebates are clear, so unexposed- are yours clear or black?

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

the SP is for "special process"  print stock. I don't know about the "70"- my 1987 VNF has "75". It may be a specification number referring to a particular pitch length, perforation or packaging.

Often the two digit code has been assumed to be the Strip number cut from the master roll.   (1 through 38 for 35 mm and 1 through 83 for 16 mm)  Back before Key code, the strip number was sometimes indicated by a sticker on the can the film originally came in.

On 11/7/2023 at 1:35 AM, Charles MacDonald said:

Often the two digit code has been assumed to be the Strip number cut from the master roll.   (1 through 38 for 35 mm and 1 through 83 for 16 mm)  Back before Key code, the strip number was sometimes indicated by a sticker on the can the film originally came in.

Yes, I have an 80s can label and the roll and roll cut number are on that. My Keykode film has them printed on the film.