RunwayML - the end of the real cameras?

Joerg Polzfusz

Hi!

The end is near, isn’t it?

With RunwayML, you can either create a video by typing a description or by uploading an image. The results are very mixed. These are the two best results that I managed to get out of the free version (hence the watermark and the short length):

Created based on my textual description:

Created based on an image that I created with Dall-E:

So, what‘s next on the AI-roadmap? So far, I have been chatting with ChatGPT (including ChatGPT creating a whole script for me), creating images with Dall-E and StableDiffusion, played around with various „text to speech“-tools and a „text to song“-tool, then created useless videos with Synthesia and other „text to video“-tools, … . When it continues like this, then pretty soon, I can type in a few keywords and have an AI tool doing the rest…

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz
  • Like 1

Interesting tests. I'm both optimistic and pessimistic about the future with AI in filmmaking.

I don't believe that this will take away from people wanting to make a film in more or less the traditional way. Maybe AI will be incorporated in shoots but ultimately there will still be a camera and sound to capture actors performing.

My pessimistic side see's commercials heading the other way. My belief comes from working a lot with client and agencies who look to cut corners (not all but a lot). Perhaps if it's presented to them to make their 15 second TVC with AI (and AI being at a much more advanced state) for nothing compared to a one day shoot with 30 crew, a few actors etc, they might go with the former.

The majority of my income is from commercials so I hope I am wrong and maybe I'm wrong about my optimism. 

• Premium Member

Yes commercials and some part of music video materials could be the first utilizing AI generated scenes. Both have high tendency of trying to cut corners and still get "cool looking" end result so it is sure that they would at least try "cheaper" alternative to actually shooting stuff if they in any way could.

For other uses, I think drama films and similar stuff "the filmmakers really care about and which tell of real life" will likely always be shot in real life.

But for Marvel and Disney (Star Wars universe, live action versions of their animated films, etc) it is extremely likely that they will use AI as much as they can to get higher profits, faster completion. Their content is very similar to commercials/music video genre: just get lots of cool looking shots mashed together with some kind of basic "story", does not need to be super high quality as long as the audience keeps engaged enough to not abandon the product. Kind of like milk diluted with water... at some point people will notice and go away but before that limit it is just more profit with less effort :D

• Like 2

For those who know the TV-series „Eisenbahn-Romantik“ (on the German channel „SWR“ - https://www.swrfernsehen.de/eisenbahn-romantik/index.html )

I have made this parody completely out of images/videos created by AI tools. Only the „editing“ was done manually (on my iPhone in less than 5min ?).

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

If you like the surreal feeling of the imagery, sure, it's the obvious choice. And if you are a printer of Christmas cards, you're already there.

Album covers art is by far the best application for AI tools so far I think. The default style of even the earliest tools was so similar that nobody would think a cover would be hand made if seeing one, they all looked AI anyway to begin with ?

• Like 1