Zeiss Super 16 Zooms

Hi everyone, I recently picked up an Arri SR3 Advanced and have now entered the rabbit hole that is lens choice. I've been a great fan of all the Zeiss glass I've used in the past, and so I'm very intrigued by the Zeiss s16 zooms but im trying to wrap my head around all the different versions, so hopefully someone can help me understand so that I can pick up the right one.

So from what I've gathered in this forum:

The original Zeiss 10-100 is a T2 and is often converted to PL but doesn't cover super 16. Considered mark 1?

The Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 is a 10-100 that has been modified (usually by optex) for super 16 and adds macro function. Considered modified Mark 1?

The Zeiss 11-110 T2.2 is an 'real' Zeiss s16 version of the lens with T2.2, no macro and pl mount. Considered Mark 2?

The Zeiss 11-110 'mark 3' is the last version of the lens with a slightly different housing, t2.2 no macro and a PL mount. Considered Mark 3? 

Or am I missing something here, I couldn't find a comprehensive list and im just piecing things together, would greatly appreciate any help/corrections/additional info on these lenses, and also any opinions from people who have used them, cheers!

It's a rabbit hole. I chose perhaps a rather unconventional approach to lenses for my SR3 which you might want to consider. On a bit of a budget,  I chose a Tokina 11-20 and a 50-135, then picked up an Optar 8mm for wide angle stuff. I'd prefer a 9.5 or 12mm though, but the 8mm has a look that I like. There's still a gap in focal length but for what I do, it works. The Tokinas seem to me, less "vintagey" looking which I like. Plus if I need to cover S35 on the latest digital cine cameras, I can. Just a thought.     

4 minutes ago, Kevin Roy said:

I chose a Tokina 11-20 and a 50-135, then picked up an Optar 8mm for wide angle stuff. I'd prefer a 9.5 or 12mm though, but the 8mm has a look that I like. There's still a gap in focal length but for what I do, it works. The Tokinas seem to me, less "vintagey" looking which I like.     

I've been thinking of going for the 11-20, love the form factor of that lens, just wish it had a little more reach to 25. And it is a bit slow at t2.9. Additionally I've heard it has some light loss when zooming making it even slower. Do you have any examples of the 11-20 on your sr3, I was looking for some footage but couldn't find anything. I was planning on just doing lens tests with all the options im considering. 

I really want that Zeiss glass though as Ive loved it every time I've used it, but maybe the tokina will surprise me. 

Sorry I don't have any footage posted. Keep in mind that the 11-20 is meant for S35, which equates to about 22-40 on a S16 camera. There's no exposure change that is discernible through the range of the zoom. It's a consistent 2.9. It's a well built modern lens and it feels solid. When I bought my camera, I abandoned looking for older Zoom lenses like the Canon's. I shot so much with that older glass I couldn't bear to bring myself to go back to that look which seems largely a result of the older coatings. And I couldn't afford the latest greatest zooms. I'd be interested to hear other testimonials on the Tokinas for s16. So far I'm the only one, I think, doing it.   

• Premium Member

I have owned quite a few super 16 zooms in recent years. I really like the Canon lenses, but they have issues when run wide open. The Zeiss zoom's are pretty good wide open, they don't get instant soft and distorted like the Canon's do. The angenieux's have similar issues when wide open. So I use the Zeiss 12-120 (optex) quite a bit and it's a 2.4 but it's solid at 2.4. Then when I need something longer, I have a few Canon's to choose from with longer ranges, but only really good outdoors in bright light, stopped down to 5.6 or more. I've found they seem to be pretty good when stopped down. Then I augment with primes when I need speed. 

There appear to be 3 types of Zeiss zooms. MKI, 2 and 3. 

I think the MK3 was the shift to super 16, it seems to be the case, it has a totally different housing and is the proper 11-110. I have shot with one, it was a better lens than my MK1 Optex, but maybe not worth the money? In my view, if the optics are good, you shouldn't need to upgrade really. 

Canon has the best lineup. They have 4 options and all of them are pretty widely available. 7-63, 8-64, 11,5-165 are the main lenses. They did make an 11,5-180 as well. I have owned the three first ones and enjoyed my time with them. I prefer longer lenses if I'm shooting with a zoom, so the wider ones I dumped and I now have a Canon 11-160 with a built-in 2X extender that I recently started using. Rare lens, but works well if you can deal with it's issues.

If you want some samples, feel free to hit me up!  

Edited by Tyler Purcell

5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I have owned quite a few super 16 zooms in recent years. I really like the Canon lenses, but they have issues when run wide open. The Zeiss zoom's are pretty good wide open, they don't get instant soft and distorted like the Canon's do. The angenieux's have similar issues when wide open.

If you want some samples, feel free to hit me up!  

Thanks so much Tyler for your insights, I'll shoot you a message about some samples and I will probably try and get a few different lenses in and test them myself. I guess all copies are also slightly different so it a little bit down to chance. The mk3 is very enticing but expensive.