Cine-Mitchell recorder question

I recently shot a short film in 4K and I'm looking to create a 16mm print to project it. Hoping to add some slight dimension and grain to it by putting it on film and I'm curious how it will look as the print shows wear over time.

Has anyone done anything similar? Curious about the workflow in terms of development. Would I have to have a someone scan it to a negative and then make a positive out of that to project?

I saw Cinelab ( https://www.cinelab.com/#/maritime/) offers this service but couldn't tell if they just somehow print it directly from Digital onto the positive (assuming that's possible) or add that intermediary step of creating a negative?

It depends on the devices and available filmstocks. E.g. Andec only offers „film out“ onto negative filmstock (and then doing a regular print - but only at HD and 2k):

https://www.andecfilm.de/16mm/ausbelichtung-digitaler-daten-auf-16-mm.html

But there‘s an Italian that can do the „film out“ directly onto 16mm (incl. optical soundtrack). He is using printstock. So he’s probably doing the inversion of the video on a computer.

Some time ago, Pro8mm tested „film out“ onto E100D. But I forgot whether this was S8-only or also for 16mm. I also haven’t followed whether they have turned this into a regular service or not.

We do this workflow several times per week, mostly to 35mm camera negative, but several times per month to 16mm.

We also make 16mm optical sound negatives and contact prints with optical soundtrack;

Most of our work in this area is digital-film-digital to add analog feel to digital images. We accept any resolution from HD to UHD and higher.

• Site Sponsor

HI

We record to a negative and then print it, choices are 50D 250D 500T / 7222 for the recorded negative and we can print that to 16mm color or B&W print stock.

I am thinking about a direct to print stock recorder with sound using an Auricon but it is far down on the list due to the technical challenges of recording direct to print stock in real time like the Cinevator does.

The V4 (now) of the Cinelab Digital to 16mm recorder runs at about 2FPS to record digital files to 16mm film, pin registered.