Light leak from Bolex Rex5

Carl Martin Storøy

Hi guys.

Ive only got to test my Rex5 on one project so far, and when getting back two rolls from the lab I discovered a strange light leak (stripe) on the right side in most of the footage.

I did not use any tape on the camera when I shot this footage, and I was alsno not aware that I was missing the filter holder on the side when shooting. Could this be the problem?

Link to footage:

https://vimeo.com/765654977/0f2fdc35ba?share=copy

Also attached some photos of the bolex.

Thanks!

IMG_7561.heic IMG_7562.heic

• Premium Member

Hello Carl,

Your Camera is missing some hardware and some accessories.

At location A you are missing the turret lock assembly.

At location B you are missing the behind the lens filter holder. This filter holder must be in place or the slot completely covered while filming or there will be a light leak.

At Location C your camera has been set up to use the sync flash accessory and these holes must be covered, or again a light leak. And if I had to hazard a guess, this is the main source of your current light leak.

Sincerely, Respectfully,

Robert

IMG_7562~3.jpg

• Thanks 1

The "stripe" is on the non-sprocket edge nearest the door and is the entire height of the frame, so the filter slot would be my choice of culprit. But I agree they should all be dealt with- if they haven't leaked yet, they will when you get some light coming in from a suitable angle.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I’ve got the impression of a rather neglected camera to put it midly.

A 1926 winding key on a REX-5, astonishing. The key is worth more than the camera among collectors. Of course can you use it that way but the story I perceive is that the telescoping wind crank is missing.

The leatherette on the lid is also worth mentioning. Did someone try to dampen the noise for sound takes? An indication to former professional jobs. Professionals often treat equipment cruelly, the lesser professionals.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Robert Ditto said:

Hello Carl,

Your Camera is missing some hardware and some accessories.

At location A you are missing the turret lock assembly.

At location B you are missing the behind the lens filter holder. This filter holder must be in place or the slot completely covered while filming or there will be a light leak.

At Location C your camera has been set up to use the sync flash accessory and these holes must be covered, or again a light leak. And if I had to hazard a guess, this is the main source of your current light leak.

Sincerely, Respectfully,

Robert

IMG_7562~3.jpg

Thank you, Robert. It makes sense. I havent thought of the holes on "C" at all - Even though Im aware of missing the turret lock assembly and filter holder.

17 hours ago, Antoine Pret said:

You probably didn't have a filter holder while shooting ? The same type of leak happenned to me beacause of that

Didnt notice the filter holder was missing until I started to look into what could be the source of the light leak..

I got the bolex from my local analog dealer in town for 237 dollars couple years ago, and he pinpointed how well the motor works (which it does), but not the missing parts of the camera. Still I reckon some tape would fix my problem, as well as buying a filter holder from ebay.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Simon Wyss said:

I’ve got the impression of a rather neglected camera to put it midly.

A 1926 winding key on a REX-5, astonishing. The key is worth more than the camera among collectors. Of course can you use it that way but the story I perceive is that the telescoping wind crank is missing.

The leatherette on the lid is also worth mentioning. Did someone try to dampen the noise for sound takes? An indication to former professional jobs. Professionals often treat equipment cruelly, the lesser professionals.

Thats an interesting thought, Simon. 

I have tried to look up the winding key on other Bolex cameras, but I have not still managed to find one except mine. Do you know what makes it so attractive to collectors, is it an original bolex key, if I may ask?

About the leatherette I have no clue. This is my first bolex and my experience shooting 16 is lacking - Have shot three rolls with it, so hopefully some tape would solve my problem even though its not a mint condition camera.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Because it’s very rare as an accessory. The Bolex Auto were sold with that key but Paillard retained it for the early H cameras. You could chose between key and crank at the time, the code was SLUZE. Sometimes an H pops up with a key and a crank.

77344745_Nr.8074g.JPG.2a7c55f0a08d78bca25a7ff7172cbed0.JPG