How do Arri textures really work

Albion Hockney

I've read the white papers and understand the idea that the texture is created in the processing pipeline, But I don't actually understand what parameters are really being managed to create these different looks in the pipeline. They say its a complicated system of 30+ parameters in the image processing after the sensor, but they don't give any specifics and it all very opaque....what is really going on in there? For example they offer textures that have "grain"...but where is this grain coming from? and how is it different or any better then adding grain later on in post other it being baked into the images being recorded?

• Premium Member

All digital cameras have some sort of noise suppression so I think some of these textures just involves turning these down or off so that people who want that sort of noisy texture don't have to employ super high-ISOs (along with the loss of dynamic range) to get it.

• Premium Member

As for it not being in post, my main argument would be that of control and intent. Often I am not in the room when they are doing coloring, for a myriad of reasons, so being able to get as close to the final look you intend on the day is rather important. Not on Arri, but I did a series of videos with a director in Canon LOG, and the final edit, put out.... was still in LOG! These types of things happen, often because those in post just get used to looking at the image as is, and sometimes make choices based upon that. This said, I'd rather give them an as is as close as possible to what we wanted it to look like.

As for the black arts that go into Arri image processing, perhaps it's nice to still have some magic hidden from our minds (and besides they'll probably never tell us what the parameters are. Perhaps we should take to calling Arri Textures the "KFC" pack, for the secret herbs and spices.)