Camera used in 'Miley Cyrus - Flowers'

Above a certain professional standard, the equipment used has very little bearing on the look of the image. Art direction and post-production and grading are much more important.

In the days of film no-one ever asked whether a particular movie was shot on a Panaflex, 2C, Caméflex, BNC or whatever. They might have asked which filmstock was used, as this might have had some relevance, but the choice was always quite limited, and before about 1980 there was none, except between manufacturers.

looks like it was 4 perf 35mm on an arricam lt with atlas orion anamorphics 

https://theasc.com/articles/framing-up-for-flowers#:~:text=Cinematographer Marcell Rév%2C ASC%2C HCA,her album Endless Summer Vacation.

honestly Im a little surprised, the resolution felt less than what you'd expect for 4 perf anamorphic. though I suppose its possible the atlas lenses are not that sharp. article doesnt say they pushed the stock, but the grain level almost feels like they did. but again, if the lenses are not super sharp that could just be drawing attention to the grain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting read, thanks! That does answer my questions, I just wonder why I did not find that article myself...😅

I was also a bit surprised of the low resolution of some of the shots. But maybe that was part of the look he was aiming for?

maybe, but personally I've never seen any footage of those lenses that I liked. but I suppose its also possible that the lenses were not collimated to their maximum performance, which was reading fine digitally but wasnt quite there for film?

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Robin Phillips said:

looks like it was 4 perf 35mm on an arricam lt with atlas orion anamorphics 

honestly Im a little surprised, the resolution felt less than what you'd expect for 4 perf anamorphic. 

All the examples I’ve seen have not been able to resolve very well, particularly wide open. The mechanical build is quite decent, but optically they are pretty mushy. And if the back focus is a little off the optical quality degrades further.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1