Why aren't there more used Lasergraphics scanners on the market?

I've only seen 2 used LG's scanners in the last few years. 1 was in L.A., a Scan Station Personal. The other one was their big model, a Gov. surplus buy. With all the scanners they make you'd think more used ones would be available. 

Thanks Dan, but still not many used scanners around.

Wow, lots of taxes with auctions and the UK. 20% buyer's premium for auction and that GST tax. (Looks like it varies in %) 

Scanner looked very clean. 

• Site Sponsor
23 hours ago, Robin Phillips said:

I dont think there are that many out there, and the ones that are out there appear to be workhorses (and money makers in the right hands). 

LaserGraphics has sold so many Scan Station scanners I half expect to see my local Pub or 7/11 offering MP scans sometime this year.

Everyone has one, I personally have two.

They are just so reliable and in constant use by the labs, post shops schools and archives and they cost relatively so much less than a big iron machine that it is not likely that many used Scan Station machines will show up on the used market.

Anyone want to buy a nice Spirit 4k?

On 3/8/2024 at 2:46 PM, Robin Phillips said:

I dont think there are that many out there, and the ones that are out there appear to be workhorses (and money makers in the right hands). 

Sure, selling scans by the foot is a great gig if you get the work. But I don't know if the market is getting flooded with scan studios thinking it is a money printing machine. I think archival work is a limited field. I mean the business model is all about old films that are not being produced any longer. I don't know how the market is for current 16mm production. Tyler is the person to ask about that.

Me...

If I had the $, I set up a shop with a couple of Scan Stations or Directors and offer it for use to indie filmmakers to use for free. But, most would not know how to use it, so I'd probably get stuck doing the scans, which I would not like doing. So that would be a problem with that idea. But everything always revolves around $. 

$ is stored energy.

I would advertise on some film forums I'd do 16mm scans for free of archival material. I'd get a few broke filmmakers write me to ask for free scans of their film. I'd tell them I'm only interested in archival material. And the Retroscan would not be good for their project anyway.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:27 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

LaserGraphics has sold so many Scan Station scanners I half expect to see my local Pub or 7/11 offering MP scans sometime this year.

Everyone has one, I personally have two.

They are just so reliable and in constant use by the labs, post shops schools and archives and they cost relatively so much less than a big iron machine that it is not likely that many used Scan Station machines will show up on the used market.

Anyone want to buy a nice Spirit 4k?

Are you an import from Ireland Robert? Or do people call the bars, pubs in your local?

Why do you have 2 of them? As backups or set up for different jobs? If you do lots of 8 and 16 work, I could see if you had 2 dedicated machines.

With all those scanners out there, is it affecting your biz? I saw a scan company in TX that said they were closing up shop and selling things off, including their Lasergraphics scanner due to lack of biz.