1920s cinematography

For a final project in my cinematography class I am trying to recreate the look of a silent era film in a single shot. I am working with a woman who will be dancing and a man who will be playing the accordion. I am struggling to find a 1920s film that fits a more theatrical look with only two people in it. If anyone has film recommendations that I could reference, that would be amazing, I'm also seeking resources that may help me figure out how to recreate that lighting style.

• Premium Member

You picked one of the most inventive decade for stylistic experimentation in the history of cinema, so you'll need to be a bit more specific.

Barry Salt's ""Film Style and Technology" has a great couple of chapters on the 1920s, I believe you can borrow it from the Internet Archive. Worth a read for some descriptions of the different lighting approaches and technology that were introduced in this period.

This site has many images from films of every year, so you can sift through the ones from the 20s to get a sense of the diversity of visual styles:

https://film-grab.com/browse-by-category/movies-by-year/

I could be wrong .... but I could be right too.

Here's what I'd do if I had to film this at short notice. Yep, ask on cinematography.com and see what advice you get. First up.

But I'd try to film in daylight, even though you're filming interiors. Okay, not easy to do, but it's what they often or always did (I didn't live back then of course haha). Use a low ISO setting if shooting digital. Ideally, shoot on Super 8 or 16mm.

Keep the camera on a tripod at all times. Move the tripod for pans with a very simple movement. No flashy sorts of shots. Look at a few 1920's style films. That's it.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

If it's shots rather than single shot I'd put in a MCU shot of the dancer, looking down admiringly at the accordionist, who I'd seat on something like a vintage 'bentwood' chair (as at least they're called here). Very simple prop of tiny table next to the accordionist with a pewter mug of beer or small glass of wine. You could insert a shot of the accordionist's face smiling back, then tilt down to his fingers playing the keys. Very simple movement and perhaps with a slightly jerky movement of the tripod head. I can picture it in my mind.

Maybe stick a mo on the accordionist. With a stripey shirt? Perhaps he could twirl a moustache end for the penultimate shot, with a knowing look from the dancer. Finish with a closing down aperture style matte on the dancer. Tells a little story in just a few seconds.

As Brian and Dom have said, depends on the particular style of the era. I'm imagining a very simple scene. That's if it's shots rather than shot. You specifically mention a single shot though. Myself, I'd probably bend the rules if I could.

Edited by Jon O'Brien