Getting a Beaulieu serviced

Andy_Alderslade

I'm about to get my Beaulieu 4008 ZM4 serviced.

A company I was thinking about using was Du-All Camera in New York. Anyone heard of any good or bad experiences with them?

Does anyone know of someone who services Beaulieus in the UK?

I was thinking about having the internal tungsten/daylight filter removed, I personally find it irritating as there is no control of it actaully 'on' the camera. Anyone see any possible problems with this?

• Premium Member

A company I was thinking about using was Du-All Camera in New York. Anyone heard of any good or bad experiences with them?

I was thinking about having the internal tungsten/daylight filter removed, I personally find it irritating as there is no control of it actaully 'on' the camera. Anyone see any possible problems with this?

Hi Andy,

I just had a B4008 serviced by Bjorn Andersson in Sweden. My choice to go with Bjorn was entirely based on the good reputation he has acquired after decades of service on Beaulieu cameras. I sent him my camera from Seattle and he kept it for about one week. I bought the camera with a sticky shutter and bad battery. Now it purs like a kitten and my first film test projected beautifully.

Here is a break down of my costs:

Cost: work US$230:-, parts US$22:-, re-cell battery US$130:- and postage

US$50:-. Total US$432

Bjorn's contact info: bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu

Hope this helps,

Steve

edit: by the way - this included removing the stupid filter that sits near the film plane. I now use screw on filters on the lens.

Edited by steve hyde

I second Bjorn - very experienced with all parts available if needed. He quotes first.

I too am based in the UK - there used to be a UK service agent until about 4 years ago, but he retired and sold all stock of parts to Bjorn.

Bjorn has services both my 4008 and R16. Just post them out to him.

Matt

edit: by the way - this included removing the stupid filter that sits near the film plane. I now use screw on filters on the lens.

I didn't think Bjorn liked doing this?

Or did you persuade him? ;)

Steve,

Did you send your Angenieux 5.9mm along with your Beaulieu for proper collimation? As I'm guessing it is a fixed focus lens, that will be crucial for best results as it would be set to focus to infinity at all times. So back focus is everything with something like that.

• Premium Member
Steve,

Did you send your Angenieux 5.9mm along with your Beaulieu for proper collimation? As I'm guessing it is a fixed focus lens, that will be crucial for best results as it would be set to focus to infinity at all times. So back focus is everything with something like that.

Andy,

Glad to help.

Santo,

This is a good question. No I don't even have the lens yet. The guy who is selling it to me is removing a filter from it and taking a long time to do that because he just purchased another camera shop. It is a fixed focus lens and I don't know anything about "back focus". What is that? This guy used to work on Beaulieu's in the 1970s and 1980s (refuses to work on them now) though maybe he can do the "collimation" (whatever that is??)

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

Here's something to look at. It's an important issue with C Mounts -- particularly if they're on a cine camera with a mirror shutter. In machine vision video applications it appears much easier to adjust them as there is a video feed to look at. Anyways, here's a good bit on this stuff:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/5...ollimation.html

As a fixed focus lens is dependant on infinity focus correctness (it's always set on infinity), collimation (correct distance so there is exact focus of the light rays on the film plane by the lens) is very important if you want it to make sure it's sharp.

Andy, I had a Beaulieu overhauled at Du-All in New York a few years ago. They're nice people and did excellent work.

Best Regards,

Dan

• 3 months later...

Try

http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/

to get your Beaulie 4008 zm4 serviced in UK, they're located in Soho, central London. They managed to get hold of a Zm4 for me, which they are now servicing themselves. They cought my interest initually with a zm2, which they had already serviced and put up for sale, which looked really good.

• 10 months later...

does anyone know of someone who does servicing in Toronto, Canada?

it's for a Beaulieu 4008 zm II with a seemingly dead motor

it was serviced in August and i can't really afford to send it over to Europe AGAIN

thank you

Edited by skyler wilson