Super 35, Anamorphic, etc...

Sean Azze

Hey

Wanted to know if someone could either visually demonstrate to me or give me a link to a site that specifies what the differences are in terms of aspect ratio between Super 35, anamorphic, 1.85:1, etc.

I've had this subject explained to me in words, but must admit that I still don't have a clear understanding of what the differences are.

Thanks

• Premium Member

Super-35 doesn't really have one aspect ratio -- it's a method of shooting to get different aspect ratios.

Basically it comes down to the fact that 35mm theatrical projection, for the most part, now comes in two types: matted widescreen and anamorphic widescreen. In matted widescreen, the old 1.37 : 1 Academy format is further masked by the projector gate top & bottom to look more rectangular -- usually the amount of masking or matting is to 1.85 : 1.

In anamorphic widescreen, or "scope" (short for CinemaScope) the image on the print has a 2X horizontal squeeze which is unsqueezed by an anamorphic lens on the projector. Current standard for the unsqueezed image is 2.39 : 1 (sometimes called 2.35 or 2.40.)

Two common methods of achieving a 35mm scope print is to either shoot with 2X anamorphic camera lenses, or to shoot with spherical lenses in Super-35 and frame for cropping in post to 2.39, and then squeezing it to anamorphic. Super-35 just means exposing Full Aperture -- the whole width of the 35mm negative from sprocket row to sprocket row -- rather than not using the small area on the left side of the frame reserved for the optical soundtrack. So Super-35 is not a release print format since it does not have room to put a soundtrack anywhere if you simply made a contact print off of the negative.

But you can frame other aspect ratios in Super-35. 4-perf 35mm Super-35, if you use the whole negative area both across and top to bottom has a 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio, so you waste quite a bit cropping to 2.39 : 1. Some people frame for cropping to 1.85 : 1, and others for cropping to 1.78 (16x9) for transfer to 16x9 video.

If you shoot 3-perf Super-35, then Full Aperture is already about 1.78 : 1 (16x9), so you waste less when cropping to 1.85 and 2.39.

This is from my book Cinematography:

apertures3P.jpg

The black band on the left side is the soundtrack area. "A" would also be 4-perf Super-35 Full Aperture. You'll note that "D" for CinemaScope looks almost square but remember that the image on it has a 2X squeeze, so becomes doubled in width when projected with an anamorphic lens.

Hey

Wanted to know if someone could either visually demonstrate to me or give me a link to a site that specifies what the differences are in terms of aspect ratio between Super 35, anamorphic, 1.85:1, etc.

I've had this subject explained to me in words, but must admit that I still don't have a clear understanding of what the differences are.

Thanks

Hey

Thanks

---Not sure what happened there.

Try the Widescreenmuseum site:

the entrance page:

http://widescreenmuseum.com/

aspect ratios:

http://widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/apertures.htm

Though there isn't much about Super 35, It's more concerned with the older version SuperScope.

---LV