new CP 16a owner needs help

Derick Thomas

Hi, I bought a CP-16A off ebay, which seems to be in pretty good condition. It was boxed for about five years. It may be a little late but is the a good camera to create a sharp crisp film imagine like you see on DVD's after the film is scanned. Is that possible with this camera? Can any tell me where can I buy a power supply, wires and batteries for this camera. How much does these items cost? Also, is the camera upgradeable to super 16? I hear it is, but need to know for sure. Does anyone have experience with this camera, loading magazine, buttons, things I should watch out for? Anyone have a manual or know where I could get one?

I bought this camera because I'm going to attempt to film a music video for some friends in a club. Which film stock will give me a clean sharp crisp image, or is this possible with this camera? DVD is where my final product will end up. Where do you send your film to get scanned to give it that crisp look? Does anyone know the process and cost? What kind of lighting kit could I buy to give me the ability to expose the film properly? I plan on shooting a feature with this camera later in the summer. Is this a good camera to shoot an independent feature with?

This is my first set of questions. I'm also reading as we speak. I have much experience shooting video, now I'm ready for some real filmmaking.

Thanks for anyone who can share information and experience with me.

Hi, I bought a CP-16A off ebay, which seems to be in pretty good condition. It was boxed for about five years. It may be a little late but is the a good camera to create a sharp crisp film imagine like you see on DVD's after the film is scanned. Is that possible with this camera? Can any tell me where can I buy a power supply, wires and batteries for this camera. How much does these items cost? Also, is the camera upgradeable to super 16? I hear it is, but need to know for sure. Does anyone have experience with this camera, loading magazine, buttons, things I should watch out for? Anyone have a manual or know where I could get one?

I bought this camera because I'm going to attempt to film a music video for some friends in a club. Which film stock will give me a clean sharp crisp image, or is this possible with this camera? DVD is where my final product will end up. Where do you send your film to get scanned to give it that crisp look? Does anyone know the process and cost? What kind of lighting kit could I buy to give me the ability to expose the film properly? I plan on shooting a feature with this camera later in the summer. Is this a good camera to shoot an independent feature with?

This is my first set of questions. I'm also reading as we speak. I have much experience shooting video, now I'm ready for some real filmmaking.

Thanks for anyone who can share information and experience with me.

Is this camera a CP16A or a CP16R? I seem to remember the "A" referred to a built in sound amp.

If it's a CP16 with a sound amp, it will have a zoom lens with a built in or dog leg viewfinder which I would doubt can be modified to cover the Super16 frame.

I've heard of the CP16R being modified to Super 16. The CP16R would be the better buy for because you can change lenses. Also with the CP16 you need to check the verticals in the dog leg viewfinders, because if the lens gets twisted in the C mount, it knocks off the vertical in the viewfinder.

Check the recent messages in the forum about the CP16, they give good contacts for this camera.

You can shoot standard 16mm for the music video and get a telecine to a video format for editing. The cost will depend on a whole lot of variables. You'd be best calling up a few labs and getting quotes, many can do the whole process in house. See what kind of deal they'll do for you.

The lights requirements depend on the needs of each project. The best results are with the slower film stocks like 100 ASA or 200 ASA, although you can get 500 ASA stocks which are good, but more grainy than the slower stocks. Film uses the same type of lights as video, however, the slower film stocks may need higher lighting levels than your video camera (which often have a speed of around 320 ASA) depending on the f stop you been commonly using when shooting video.

However, I suspect a good idea would be to do a bit of background reading on the subject of 16mm filmmaking, the questions you're asking would need a book to answer.

Scanning film to video is usually reffered to as Telecine. You don't say where you live so I have no idea where would be best for you to go to. I expect you can find out more details with some searching around. Leading models of Telecine are Spirit/Shadow and Millenium, there are lots of others too.

I suspect the crisp image you refer to depends not just on filmstock but on lens and perhaps lighting too.

The amount of grain in the film tends to be proportinal to the film speed. With a fast film like 500ASA you need less lighting but it is more grainy. 50D will give you good results in bright sunlight with very little grain at all.

Maybe get a 35mm SLR still camera and some slide film and try some stuff out as a test?

love

Freya

I have both a CP16R, and an "A".

The A model is inferior to the "R" model, in that you're kinda stuck with just a couple lenses made for it.

Which one do you have?

The lens is going to have lots to do with how sharp the image is going to be, but I'm guessing you have the Angieniuex 12-120 which is the most common for that camera.

Not a great lens, but it can look good as long as you get a decent stop.

It really falls apart at anything below 2.8.

Plan on shooting at T4 or better yet, 5.6 or 8, and you should be OK.

Those are the original CP's, so chances are you are going to need a bit of service on it.

I recommend Paul Hillman at Visual Products in Ohio. Pretty much a CP-16 genius, and he can get you all the parts you need as well.

• 3 weeks later...
I have both a CP16R, and an "A".

The A model is inferior to the "R" model, in that you're kinda stuck with just a couple lenses made for it.

Which one do you have?

The lens is going to have lots to do with how sharp the image is going to be, but I'm guessing you have the Angieniuex 12-120 which is the most common for that camera.

Not a great lens, but it can look good as long as you get a decent stop.

It really falls apart at anything below 2.8.

Plan on shooting at T4 or better yet, 5.6 or 8, and you should be OK.

Those are the original CP's, so chances are you are going to need a bit of service on it.

I recommend Paul Hillman at Visual Products in Ohio. Pretty much a CP-16 genius, and he can get you all the parts you need as well.

cool, thanks. I have not recieved my camera yet but I'm sure to have many more questions when I start working with it.

thanks you everyone who posted replies. I see I have alot of work to do.