SIGN YOUR POSTS

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

I just posted this only one month ago and we seem to get more and more people joining this forum who aren't signing their posts with their real names, posters like:

Handcranked films

beanpat

stoop

djdumpy

thinkmonkeymedia

redbaron

plus a number of first-name-only posters.

If some of us are going to take the time to answer your questions, please take the time to sign your posts. You can set-up an automatic signature in your account.

• Premium Member
I just posted this only one month ago and we seem to get more and more people joining this forum who aren't signing their posts with their real names, posters like:

Handcranked films

beanpat

stoop

djdumpy

thinkmonkeymedia

redbaron

If some of us are going to take the time to answer your questions, please take the time to sign your posts. You can set-up an automatic signature in your account.

According to a comment made by ADM on another topic in which the real name issue was introduced into that thread....."This forum does not require the use of real names, and it is likely that some users' real names are not even their real names, but that ultimately hurts the user. Using real names is highly encouraged and there are other threads here better suited for that discussion."

Either the forums require the use of real names or they don't, so far it feels like there isn't a unified view from ADM and the founding members regarding real name usage.

The official policy may be lenient, but I think there is a definite practice established by the members of the board who have been posting here for awhile. There's a real legitimacy given to the posts of people like David Mullen, Mitch Gross, Eric Steelberg and all of the other professionals who take the time to post here because they are willing to attach their names to the opinions and information that they share. While I don't pretend to include myself on that list, I do try to emulate the standard that they've set by attaching my actual name to my posts. I like the sense of community that it contributes to and it's probably one of the things that keeps this board from becoming mired in the petty, anonymous conflicts where people are ultimately less responsible for what they say.

• Premium Member

it may seem childish, but i've stopped answering posts when people call themselves filmboy, nerdmonster or whatever (actually I might answer someone who called themselves whatever- but only once for novelty value!). I particularly take offence to anyone that involves a starwars reference (padwans or any other jedi bollocks make me want to retch). maybe a non reply system is a simple way of getting the message across?

Keith

Like Wendell said Mike, do not sell youself short.

I find the lack of real names more of an annoyance than a problem. But I also notice the the most wasteful posts come form those who don't use their real names. I have a feeling those who do that are younger and may not want to reveal their age or lack of experience, etc. That wouldn't make sense though since we're all here to learn and share information and experiences.

Personally I've had people come up to me on shoots, events, and screenings asking if I'm the same person from these forums. It's nice to meet those people.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just an age thing and a habit brought here from other forums and sites for gamers, software pirating, etc. I suppose there is a tendency to remain anonymous inherent to the internet.

If I had to guess I'd say it's just an age thing and a habit brought here from other forums and sites for gamers, software pirating, etc. I suppose there is a tendency to remain anonymous inherent to the internet.

I still post on other forums using a screen name; this is pretty much the only place where I'll use my actual name. In general, I'd just rather remain somewhat anonymous and be thought of as more of an internet personality than a real person. Here, however, I'm trying to present myself as a professional (or professional-to-be at the moment), and I want people in the community to get to know me, so I'm fine with using my real name.

I've just got to try not to post anything hugely embarassing or idiotic, since everyone will know exactly who i am! :blink:

The official policy of this forum should be clear. 'If you sign your posts you'll get more attention and respect from other forum members.'

Like David says, "If some of us are going to take the time to answer your questions, please take the time to sign your posts." If you want a real conversation, use your real name.

Handcranked films

beanpat

stoop

djdumpy

thinkmonkeymedia

redbaron

Haha! I got singled out! Seriously though, as much comfort as I take in general anonymity, it is not that reason alone that many of us wish to remain unnamed. I am sincerely sorry that a large degree of our more senior members take such offence to this, although despite the reasons listed here, I honestly don't understand why you find posting in this way so objectionable.

However the fact is: you do consider anonymous posting to be "disrespectful", so out of respect for the forum and it's members I will reluctantly change my unsociable ways... Temporarily at least.

The official policy of this forum should be clear. 'If you sign your posts you'll get more attention and respect from other forum members.'

Tim,

Sorry, but "should be" and "is" are apples and oranges. Great forum, but IMHO (and if member's input means anything) this isn't always the case.

Guest beanpat

Handcranked films

beanpat

stoop

djdumpy

thinkmonkeymedia

redbaron

I wish I used my real name as my user name. to late now. but a signature is a good idea. I didnt realize that my account username was going to become my ID in the forum as well.

Guest Michael King

I'd support real name usage being mandatory.

If this were a physical room that we all hung out in, would we not refer to each other by our real names, at least real first names? Can you imagine shaking the hand of someone who introduces themselves as "Film Girl" or "35MM Dude"? How could you take them seriously?

And, perhaps more importantly, it's just more difficult to take or give advice from someone named "Batman", "jug69", "Turbo", or "ruitjg7".

For reasons of privacy and discretion, I do not support mandatory real name use. If some people don't want to respond to anonymous posters, that's their choice and I can tolerate it. Conversely, there's no reason why my choice to remain anonymous shouldn't be tolerated as well. If you doubt whether I'm "for real," you can read the content of my posts (if you're a professional it should be easy enough to distinguish other professionals from students or newbies), or look at the setup I posted in the lighting forum.

• Premium Member
For reasons of privacy and discretion, I do not support mandatory real name use. If some people don't want to respond to anonymous posters, that's their choice and I can tolerate it. Conversely, there's no reason why my choice to remain anonymous shouldn't be tolerated as well. If you doubt whether I'm "for real," you can read the content of my posts (if you're a professional it should be easy enough to distinguish other professionals from students or newbies), or look at the setup I posted in the lighting forum.

here's the thing JLo, this is a discussion board for cinematography, not a nuclear secrets exchange programme. now there have been times when i wish i could post under a fake name and other times when i've had to reedit posts when i felt i'd said too much about a manufacturer's R and D, without their permission. however these have been my mistakes and they are mistakes which i take responsability for. now if you post something as Jlo or filmlondondude or whatever and people utilise your advice then you have no responsibility and this creates a climate of uncertainty. i fail to see that if you act professionally you have anything to hide and if that is the case have the bollocks to use your own name- for this is what professionals do. otherwise don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Keith

• Premium Member
"use your own name- for this is what professionals do"

Professionals use discretion, which does not necessarily equate w/ using one's own name.

really? how many sets have you been on where professional's used discretion in such a matter? in fact where apart from internet forums (where usernames were created for two reasons one duplication of names worldwide - rare, two so peadophiles can preen their victims etc etc) have you used a pseudonem rather than your own name?

Keith

• Premium Member
Gee, you sound like a hitman for the mob...

I have yet to read a single post by you that would have required the 'discretion' of not using your real name.

Hi,

For anybody who needs to pass on anonymous information to cinematograpers, CML has an anonymous list!

For all other posts real names are better.

Stephen

To me, anybody who chooses not to use their real name has something to hide; their name at least. I think that's unprofessional, and many professionals on this forum will choose not to communicate with you because of that.

As the forum admin I'm not that much of a control freak that I will disallow faux names. However when I get support emails from 'anonymous' users I often ignore them. If I receive complaints about a user with a faux name I will not hesitate to suspend that user. Users who at least appear to use their real names get my full consideration and the benefit of the doubt.

'Sustaining Members' get extra consideration ;)