Arriflex 16 mm Bible?

Bo Svalin

• Premium Member
Exists any "bible" over Arri 16 mm, type Bolex Bible by Andtew Alden?

Bo, are you talking about a "bible" for the Arriflex 16S, S/B and St? Or are you talking about a "bible" of everything ARRI INC. has made in 16mm in the last almost 90 years?

-Tim

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I am intreeserad of a "bible" about the Arriflex 16S, S/B duck St.

Once to: I am intrested of "bible" about the Arriflex 16S, S/B and St.

Bo,

Although it is not a "bible", I have created a web site dealing with all things Arriflex 16S. It is a work in progress and only came into existence last week, but already you can view a pictorial history of the Arriflex 16S camera, as well as download the Operating Manual and one of the many Promotional Catalogs that were made over the years. I have another one that just needs to be digitized.

Arri16S.com

In the coming days and weeks I will be adding more information and if there is anything in particular anyone wants to see covered, please drop me an email at:

questions@arri16s.com

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member
Tim,

On your site's history of the camera, you might wish to add information regarding the 16SB-GS model with the start mark system and pilotone module.

Also I believe there were 16 or so 'factory' Super 16 cameras.

Have you ever seen one of the Super 16 models? I have heard them mentioned a number of times but don't know anyone who has actually seen one. Would love to see how ARRI handled the challenge of making that camera Super 16.

I also do not have much information on the SB-GS other than it being covered in the Operation Instructions you can download as a PDF. It was a significant camera but I am wondering if its relevance has lessened in the world of DAT, MiniDisc and Hard Drive audio recording for film sound. It always seemed the GS was designed to go with the Nagra system. But I will look into it more.

My goal with the site is to make it a filmmaking resource and to show that the Arriflex 16S is still a viable option for independent filmmakers in a world dominated by DVX's and HVX's. I want to show what can still be done with a relatively inexpensive yet high quality film camera.

Thanks for the input Nathan,

-Tim

Guest Michael Carter
My goal with the site is to make it a filmmaking resource and to show that the Arriflex 16S is still a viable option for independent filmmakers in a world dominated by DVX's and HVX's. I want to show what can still be done with a relatively inexpensive yet high quality film camera.

Tim,

Thank you for the very nice web about the Arri camera(s) with more to come I hope. I will be using Arri at Pittsburgh Filmmakers some day so the information will be useful for me and perhaps some other students as well. I'll let you know later just what kind of Arris as right now I am restricted to Bolexs and Scoopics.

Later,

Michael Carter

• Premium Member
Tim,

Thank you for the very nice web about the Arri camera(s) with more to come I hope. I will be using Arri at Pittsburgh Filmmakers some day so the information will be useful for me and perhaps some other students as well. I'll let you know later just what kind of Arris as right now I am restricted to Bolexs and Scoopics.

Later,

Michael Carter

Michael,

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind remarks. By the time you start using the Arri's at Pittsburgh, the site should have much more information on everything from buying a camera off eBay to shooting a sync sound project. I also hope to have reviews of products made for the Arriflex 16S like the Tobin Crystal Sync motor and the rigs available from Cavision.

-Tim

I like the idea of making such a site. I recently bought an Arri S. Ive posted a few things about it on this site, like looking for certain accessories. So far so good, although I havent used it much yet. I have had it serviced at Du-all in NYC.

I have some questions and suggestions.

How practical is a crystal sync motor for this camera, which is so loud. I know there is a blimp for the camera, but that thing is pretty costly, cumbersome, and heavy, is it not? The combined cost of a crystal sync motor and blimp is what? -- at least $2,000, right? And that blimp requires a solid tripod at all times, right? You cant handhold that sucker, can you?

What are some exerinces that anyone reading this has with synching up the Arri S?

Do you plan on providing clips from films shot exclusively with the Arri S? Yes I realize that all 16mm cameras can virtually produce the same image. But perhaps clips shot with the Arri along with supplemntal info that tells which lens was used, which type of motor, etc. This might help with that idea you were mentioning of how an Arri is an excellent choice compared to the current trend of DVX's, etc. People could really see the proof, ya know.

I'm guessing you're hoping that eventually, virtually all Arri S owners visit the site and communicate with one another, networking, helping eachother out, and sharing info ideas and even buying and selling and trading with each other. That would be great huh?

Assisting buyers on ebay is an outstanding idea.

I look forward to the sites growth.

Edited by Keneu

• Premium Member
How practical is a crystal sync motor for this camera, which is so loud. I know there is a blimp for the camera, but that thing is pretty costly, cumbersome, and heavy, is it not? The combined cost of a crystal sync motor and blimp is what? -- at least $2,000, right? And that blimp requires a solid tripod at all times, right? You cant handhold that sucker, can you?

Keneu,

You're right, the Arri S is quite noisy, but when properly cleaned, lubed and adjusted, it is less so. And if you are shooting 100ft internal loads, it is a bit quieter than the Bolex. A crystal sync motor is nice to have if you are going to be doing narrative work or even music video, for two reasons. First, if you are trying to sync with sound, be it dialog or singing, the accuracy of a crystal sync motor will make your job infinitely more doable. And secondly, a crystal sync motor will make your exposure consistent. When I set up an Arri S camera, if it has an Arri constant speed motor, I clean, lube and set it for 24fps. If you are using an 8 volt power source, it can be very accurate, but not quite crystal sync, but your exposure will be very good. If on the other hand, you are using one of the Arri variable speed motors, with 8 volt or 12 volt power supply, the speed really drifts slower and faster on those motors, and not only is that going to make your sound sync very difficult, it is going to effect your exposure and degrade your image. So at the least, I would recommend a properly set constant speed motor, and if you can afford it, a crystal sync motor. I hope to be doing a review of the Tobin Crystal Sync motor on Arri16S.com soon.

Do you plan on providing clips from films shot exclusively with the Arri S? Yes I realize that all 16mm cameras can virtually produce the same image. But perhaps clips shot with the Arri along with supplemntal info that tells which lens was used, which type of motor, etc. This might help with that idea you were mentioning of how an Arri is an excellent choice compared to the current trend of DVX's, etc. People could really see the proof, ya know.

That is exactly what my plans are. I want to show exactly what kind of image quality can be achieved with a properly set up Arri S.

Assisting buyers on ebay is an outstanding idea.

I want to help folks find decent examples of the camera, ones that have been taken care of and aren't just someone's junk that they are trying to dump off. Thanks for your enthusiasm. The Arri 16S is a great camera, and is now quite affordable. I want to show what great results can still be achieved with it.

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Keneu,

Yes, thanks for asking. Been a busy couple of weeks with other projects, but I have had time to post the first draft of the "Tips for buying an Arriflex 16S, S/B, or St off of eBay". Also put up a promotional catalog from 1957 with 16 pages of cool images. Goes along with the 1963 promotional catalog.

Also got some bad news last week from Clive Tobin. I had hoped to do a review of his crystal sync motor for the Arriflex 16S, but he informed me that it has been discontinued. He has a few left but once they are gone, he is not making any more. So that was disappointing. The Arriflex constant speed motor can be set fairly accurately, but a crystal sync unit would be nice.

Check out the new info and if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Anything going on with the website?

For those of you, like myself, who were too young to have bought a brand new Arriflex 16S back in the day, you probably never had the chance to see the insert that came inside each new camera. DP Scott Smith of Tomball Texas was generous enough to send me the one he got when he purchased his S/B in 1971 and I added it to the web page. You can view and download the PDF here.

Also, at the request of ARRI Inc. I have added a new page to the web site of other out-of-print ARRI 16 mm Camera Instruction Manuals and Brochures. At this time you can view and download a PDF of the original Instruction Manual for the Arriflex 16SRII and a Brochure from the Arriflex 16SRIIE. They can be found here.

Enjoy,

-Tim Carroll

For those of you, like myself, who were too young to have bought a brand new Arriflex 16S back in the day, you probably never had the chance to see the insert that came inside each new camera. DP Scott Smith of Tomball Texas was generous enough to send me the one he got when he purchased his S/B in 1971 and I added it to the web page. You can view and download the PDF here.

---The library system I use has blocked that download since it has ben deemed a SEX SITE!!!

---LV

• Premium Member
---The library system I use has blocked that download since it has ben deemed a SEX SITE!!!

---LV

www.Arri16S.com is considered a sex site! What kind of library system are you on? That's hilarious. Now I have always considered the Arriflex 16S to be a sexy camera, but I am not sure it would register as a sex site, although there are pictures of the camera without any clothes on. :rolleyes:

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

NEW ADDITION to Arri16S.com

Just added a PDF of the original Arriflex 16S/B Operating Manual published by Arriflex Corporation of America. This pristine copy was supplied by Scott Smith who got it from ARRI when he bought his Arriflex 16S/B brand new in 1970. For you Arri S fans, you can now download this original manual, as well as a copy of the original Camera Insert that came inside each Arriflex 16S/B. Both of these publications are over thirty five years old and scarce as hens teeth.

Arriflex 16S, S/B Operating Manuals

I was able to obtain a Tobin TXM-22 crystal sync motor, so I will do a review on that for the site in the coming weeks. Tried it out when I first got it and was very impressed. Forward and reverse crystal sync at 6, 12, 24, 25, 30, 40, and 50 fps. Tested it with a strobe and it is dead on.

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

I just bought the Tobin TXM-22a motor for my Arri S. I havent run any film with it yet. I only installed it and ran the camera empty to see if it runs cyrstal.

Yep. The needle on the fps tachometer doesn't even flinch.

I will be filming with it in a week or so.

I think I bought the very last one of these from Tobin.

( I dont really know...I probably didnt...but I like to think i did :))

"Buy it Now" from Clive on ebay, $600.

Shooting with film....priceless.

Edited by Keneu

• Premium Member
I just bought the Tobin TXM-22a motor for my Arri S. I havent run any film with it yet. I only installed it and ran the camera empty to see if it runs cyrstal.

Yep. The needle on the fps tachometer doesn't even flinch.

I will be filming with it in a week or so.

I think I bought the very last one of these from Tobin.

( I dont really know...I probably didnt...but I like to think i did :))

"Buy it Now" from Clive on ebay, $600.

Shooting with film....priceless.

You did get the last one. I have been talking with Clive about inventory for the last couple of months and it is all gone. Which is a real shame cause it is a really great addition to a really great little camera. I found a used one, the older TXM-22, at Visual Products and snapped it up.

-Tim

although there are pictures of the camera without any clothes on. :rolleyes:

-Tim

I think those open lens port pictures are what did you in. :lol: Very nice site!Yes, put a page in there about super 16 conversion and accessories, such as motors, batteries and sound barneys and blimps.

• Premium Member

Okay, finally got the last manual digitized and up on the site. So now, if you are looking for the Operating Manual for either the earlier or later models of the Arriflex 16S, S/B, or St, you can download a free PDF of the factory manuals at Arri16S.com.

There is now a factory manual for the 1957 Arriflex 16S (early model), a factory manual for the 1970 Arriflex 16S/B (later model), a generic manual for the Arriflex 16S, S/B, and St, and a PDF of the original camera insert card that came with each new Arriflex 16S/B.

While you are there you can also download free copies of the 1957 Arriflex 16S Promotional Catalog and the 1963 Arriflex 16S Promotional Catalog. These show all the accessories that were available for the cameras at that time including the different Schneider, Zeiss, Rodenstock and Kilfit lenses. If you are a fan of the camera, I think you will find the catalogs interesting.

-Tim Carroll