Devry 35mm camera

dd3stp233

Hello, I have a 1926 Devry 35mm "standard" Model A "lunchbox" motion picture camera. I've searched the internet and there is little information available on this camera. I am planning to shot with this camera soon and wanted to know if anyone could tell me what the shutter angle is for it? (Much easier then taking it apart to measure it). For those of you who aren't familar with this camera, it is one of the smallest 35mm movie cameras I have ever seen. It is the same size as childs lunchbox. Holds an internal 100ft spool of film and is spring driven (55ft on one full wind at 18fps). It can also be handcranked, there is a crank port in the side. Has two viewfinders (non-reflex) with an optional third which actually would be reflex through the lens or filmbase? Neat old camera.

The lens port is rather small (about 32mm across) and so I can not see much of the shutter blade. The best I can make out is that it is less then 180 degrees and more then 90. I just wondering if some else already had this info. I don't like guessing when figuring out exposures so an exact measurment of the angle is what I need. If someone has the owners manual for one of these cameras, it should be listed in it.

• Premium Member
The lens port is rather small (about 32mm across) and so I can not see much of the shutter blade. The best I can make out is that it is less then 180 degrees and more then 90. I just wondering if some else already had this info. I don't like guessing when figuring out exposures so an exact measurment of the angle is what I need. If someone has the owners manual for one of these cameras, it should be listed in it.

Hi,

If you go with 135 you will be very close enough!

Stephen

Hello, I have a 1926 Devry 35mm "standard" Model A "lunchbox" motion picture camera. I've searched the internet and there is little information available on this camera. I am planning to shot with this camera soon and wanted to know if anyone could tell me what the shutter angle is for it? (Much easier then taking it apart to measure it). For those of you who aren't familar with this camera, it is one of the smallest 35mm movie cameras I have ever seen. It is the same size as childs lunchbox. Holds an internal 100ft spool of film and is spring driven (55ft on one full wind at 18fps). It can also be handcranked, there is a crank port in the side. Has two viewfinders (non-reflex) with an optional third which actually would be reflex through the lens or filmbase? Neat old camera.

---Ain't the internet swell. One can find anything one wants, as long as it's in an ad.

The 2nd edition of the 'American Cinematographer Hand Book and Reference Guide' 1938 lists the Devry Standard Model A as having a '130 degree, fixed position, no dissolve'.

The Magic Eye Model A has '90 degrees, adjustable, no dissolve'. It's adjustable for stills. 1/100-1/1000 of a second.

---LV

---Ain't the internet swell. One can find anything one wants, as long as it's in an ad.

The 2nd edition of the 'American Cinematographer Hand Book and Reference Guide' 1938 lists the Devry Standard Model A as having a '130 degree, fixed position, no dissolve'.

The Magic Eye Model A has '90 degrees, adjustable, no dissolve'. It's adjustable for stills. 1/100-1/1000 of a second.

---LV

Thanks Leo, thats what I needed to know.