35mm film editing

James Steven Beverly

In the UK a 16mm cutting room usually had a Steenbeck and a Pic Sync on an editing bench. Every BBC cutting room that I've seen had them, so this could explain why there are so many around on the used market.

I saw a Magnsync 16mm on ebay yesterday. What makes the Pic Sync better? If it's being used as a matter of course by the BBC it's got to be good. I was watching "Hollywood North" today on dss and noticed in one scene, they had something that looked like a Pic Sync, It's where the blonde is using hand winders to spool some film.

I've looked at that Magnasync and the picture head is high up at the back. The pic-sync's is at the front and at the same height as the mag heads and just looks handier to use. The Magnasync looks like an add-on rather than an integrated design. I haven't used one, though. Also, pic-syncs go for much less in the UK than that Magnasync is making. As I said, I paid £1 for mine, and £75 for a Steenbeck.

As to the BBC, they don't cut much on film any more as far as I know, and the pic-syncs are made here. Still, I reckon if they'd been an American invention, the BBC would still have bought them, as no doubt they bought Moviolas before they had Steenbecks. They're that useful. I don't expect cutting equipment crosses the pond very often nowadays; it's a bit heavy.

Bearcub: you can get 35mm. Moviolas and pic-syncs. Watch ebay, or try the various dealers. I do know of one non-motorised 35mm pic-sync available in London, but shouldn't really advertise it here. If you're really interested contact me off-board.

I've looked at that Magnasync and the picture head is high up at the back. The pic-sync's is at the front and at the same height as the mag heads and just looks handier to use. The Magnasync looks like an add-on rather than an integrated design. I haven't used one, though. Also, pic-syncs go for much less in the UK than that Magnasync is making. As I said, I paid £1 for mine, and £75 for a Steenbeck.

As to the BBC, they don't cut much on film any more as far as I know, and the pic-syncs are made here. Still, I reckon if they'd been an American invention, the BBC would still have bought them, as no doubt they bought Moviolas before they had Steenbecks. They're that useful. I don't expect cutting equipment crosses the pond very often nowadays; it's a bit heavy.

Bearcub: you can get 35mm. Moviolas and pic-syncs. Watch ebay, or try the various dealers. I do know of one non-motorised 35mm pic-sync available in London, but shouldn't really advertise it here. If you're really interested contact me off-board.

I was about to say similar things. I'm not sure if the Magnasync is motorised, but it's a big advantage on the Pic Sync, which it means to can listen to your sound without hand cranked induced wow & flutter.

I was referring to when the BBC was cutting on film. I suspect the most of the film editing equipment in the BBC these days is be is found in their film libraries. Although, I suppose you may still find the odd Steenbeck in a backroom room for viewing purposes.

I've used a Magnasync Moviola M79 in the past couple years. It's a handy portable substitute for a flatbed when you can't spare half a bedroom for the real thing. It's 16mm only. You need to supply your own rewinds, of course.

Edited by Robert Hughes

I have my video post room already out fitted in my home but plan on turning a larger room in my house into an editing/darkroom editing suite and move everything into there. I an in the process of getting everything that I will need to do both film and video- a film bin, rewinders, splicer develping tank and what ever else I need in order to complete it. (suggestions would be welcome) I have most of the digital editing stuff I need. I'm using a SGI workstation w/ Premere software for digital but still want to but together a 10 to 20 machine render farm for animation. (i've got a couple of very talented animators who work with me) At some point I plan to get into HD as well (when I have more money). I have a 4000 sq ft workspace I use as my studio. It's not ideal, the ceilings are too low and the roof leaks but fortuately here in the desert it doesn't rain too often.besides The electircal is al industial and I can afford it although I am looking an a warehouse that would be perfect. It's about the same sq footage but it's cider block construction w/ 30 ft ceilings, great for lighting, and flat smooth concrete floors. The electical is 3 phase and will handle anyhing, in fact my family used to rent the building so I lnow it intimintly. Again when I can conjour up some cash I'm going to try and buy it. A friend of mine owns Kakuwa lighting and grip and keeps his lighting truck and most stuff over at my place so I'm lucky in that what I don't own in the way of lighting it is availible to me although I do want to get my own stuff and I have Mel expertise to rely on. I have been picking up a few things here and there. I got a dolly crane and old vinton that can bring the cameraman to over 10 ft. It's really cool although it's about the size of and kinda looks like a narrow dune buggy. My goal Is to creat a small production studio capible of producing feature films without having to rely on anone elses approval to greenilght a project. In the current studio I'm in I've been working on a sci/ project set abourd a starship, the film is called The Black Sky. Ive been working on it for about 6 years but in my defence when I started I had nothing but the space and actor's from a acting workshop I was teachng at the time. Anyway I ramble on. What is everyone else doing? If that's not to broad a question for this thread?