flares in 'private ryan'

claudio rietti

the infamous opening sequence of 'saving private ryan' has some strange flares coming mostly from the bottom of the screen upwards and they dance as if they were flames. they seem to affect the highlights mostly. Could you tell me if that was done in post or with a filter? Also, the shaky handheld camera...was some of that also done in post? I just can't imagine how those shakes were all so precise in every shot. It's almost as if they attached some sort of vibrator to the lens, but that would most likely throw the focus off. How can one achieve these two effects in camera, if possible?

I don't personally know the answers, but I believe I found a lot of info on this question by doing a search in this forum for "Saving Private Ryan", look through the many threads that come up, some look to be specifically directed at your questions.

~Shawn

• Premium Member
the infamous opening sequence of 'saving private ryan' has some strange flares coming mostly from the bottom of the screen upwards and they dance as if they were flames. they seem to affect the highlights mostly. Could you tell me if that was done in post or with a filter? Also, the shaky handheld camera...was some of that also done in post? I just can't imagine how those shakes were all so precise in every shot. It's almost as if they attached some sort of vibrator to the lens, but that would most likely throw the focus off. How can one achieve these two effects in camera, if possible?

Hi,

The flares were created in camera by mis-timing the camera shutter, so that the shutter was partially open whilst the film was advancing.

A search will give you more details.

Stephen

You can see the effect occasionally on cinema screens where a poorly maintained film projectors' movement

is out of sync between the shutter closed timing and the movement pull-down.

I believe it's called *shutter- ghosting*.

cheers

Edited by matt butler

• Premium Member
thanks so much for the responses. this is definitely not the kind of thing i can pull off as i am working with a fixed shutter.

claudio

Hi,

Whats the camera? The shutter just has to be mis-timed, on some cameras its not that much of a problem like a Mitchell or Ultracam. With modern Arri cameras its just software.

Stephen