The Traveling CineAlta

Wes Shinn

Im traveling from Florida to the Ukraine in June. This will be the furthest and first time ive ever gone on outside of the country. Any hints on how to make sure all the equipment remains safe and nice. Im bringing all this stuff along -

W-F900 Sony "CineAlta"

HJ22ex7.6B Series Canon HD Lense

2 stage carbon fiber vinten vision 250 tripod

Astro Systems 6.3" HD - SDI Field Monitor

16x9 mattebox

I do have the big olympic case for the camera and accesories. And a case for the mattebox....as well as a soft case for the tripod.

• Premium Member
Im traveling from Florida to the Ukraine in June. This will be the furthest and first time ive ever gone on outside of the country. Any hints on how to make sure all the equipment remains safe and nice. Im bringing all this stuff along -

W-F900 Sony "CineAlta"

HJ22ex7.6B Series Canon HD Lense

2 stage carbon fiber vinten vision 250 tripod

Astro Systems 6.3" HD - SDI Field Monitor

16x9 mattebox

I do have the big olympic case for the camera and accesories. And a case for the mattebox....as well as a soft case for the tripod.

The camera/lens goes in a soft case and stays with you as a carry-on. Checking it as baggage on a domestic flight is not something that is done, let alone flights to any former Soviet republics. It will be stolen as a matter of course. I'd pack the tripod in a hard case and check it as baggage, monitor also checked in a hard case. Make sure you know where you can rent both at your destination as they may be stolen. The matte box I'd pack in my suitcase with my clothes and the filters would be in with the camera with me at all times.

You have them all fully insured, right?

I've been on quite a few trips packing a HDW 730 and various gear. I agree with Tim, the camera and lens go as carry on, the rest you check in hard cases. Most airlines allow 2 carry on bags, I take the camera as one and pack a gear bag with enough tapes, batteries, lav mic, etc so I can shoot for a couple of days while the rest of the gear that is lost in transit can catch up to me, it has happened to me.

Another thing you should get is a Carnet which is like a passport for your gear, it can smooth your travels through customs agents on both ends. Here's where to get more Carnet info - http://www.uscib.org/ .

Happy Trails

• Premium Member
I've been on quite a few trips packing a HDW 730 and various gear. I agree with Tim, the camera and lens go as carry on, the rest you check in hard cases. Most airlines allow 2 carry on bags, I take the camera as one and pack a gear bag with enough tapes, batteries, lav mic, etc so I can shoot for a couple of days while the rest of the gear that is lost in transit can catch up to me, it has happened to me.

Another thing you should get is a Carnet which is like a passport for your gear, it can smooth your travels through customs agents on both ends. Here's where to get more Carnet info - http://www.uscib.org/ .

Happy Trails

Unfortunately, Ukraine does not accept carnets at present:

http://www.uscib.org/index.asp?documentID=1582

but check the list and if you are traveling to any other countries that do accept them, they really grease the wheel. Check with the Ukrainian Embassy in Washington or your local Ukraine Consul about documentation:

http://www.ukraineinfo.us/consular/consular.html

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have found it impossible to insure equipment that will be checked in, as it will be out of your sight. Worth checking this, and if you are actually covered, please tell me who your insurers are!

Carnets - I have travelled with equipment to New York and back and in both cases we actually had to wait in the customs area and use the call phone to get someone to come and deal with it. Yes, it's certainly something to do, but don't be surprised if you find it would have been easier just to stroll through the green channel.

Phil

Hi,

I have found it impossible to insure equipment that will be checked in, as it will be out of your sight. Worth checking this, and if you are actually covered, please tell me who your insurers are!

Carnets - I have travelled with equipment to New York and back and in both cases we actually had to wait in the customs area and use the call phone to get someone to come and deal with it. Yes, it's certainly something to do, but don't be surprised if you find it would have been easier just to stroll through the green channel.

Phil

You need to check with customs where you can get your Carnet stamped when you leave a country. Usually customs only interested in when you enter a country. Leaving a country can involve you going to the arrivals area to get the customs stamp before going on to departures. It's something that needs to be planned, otherwise you can find yourself in a mad rush finding out where you need to go.

To be correct a Carnet needs to be stamped every time you enter and leave a country.

On one occasion, an Irish customs official got a bit tight about audio tape stock not being listed on the Carnet (The film rushes were being send back daily to London). Fortunately, his superior took one look and asked if the tapes had been used and was happy when we told him that they'd had been recorded on.

If you're using a Carnet, make sure it's all filled out correctly, every step of the way. I know of a Production co. that was hit with a bill from Customs & Excise for unpaid VAT on equipment that they had 'sold abroad'. They hadn't sold it at all, but the carnet was incomplete, and they couldn't prove they had ever brought the kit back to the UK.

• Premium Member
So, even if my insurance will cover traveling to the ukraine, I will still need something to show customs that the equipment is mine and will always stay with me?

That's why I suggested you contact the Ukrainian Embassy or Consul. Get something in writing from Ukrainian customs so if/when a customs agent decides to detain you, you have official paperwork. As I said, Ukraine does not yet work with Carnets so there will almost certainly be fees involved and you better know how large a fee BEFORE you are detained at the airport on your way out.

That's why I suggested you contact the Ukrainian Embassy or Consul. Get something in writing from Ukrainian customs so if/when a customs agent decides to detain you, you have official paperwork. As I said, Ukraine does not yet work with Carnets so there will almost certainly be fees involved and you better know how large a fee BEFORE you are detained at the airport on your way out.

On a shoot in Sudan we had a Carnet set up because it would impress the local customs officers and also it would help get the equipment back into the UK.

When we arrived in Sudan the equipment was held overnight at the airport by customs until the people we were working for arranged a bond.

The Carnet worked going the other direction, got straight through two country's customs on the return trip.

I know that in the former warsaw-pact countries none of your paperwork will be fine until it has a round stamp on it. I have been travelling to several detinations with just a self-written list of the items i was carrying- with a round stamp brand on it. Worked very well. Some customer wanted to see it, some also stamped it, some didn't even want to see it.