Color Temperature Meter

N DeWood

• Premium Member

Hello everyone,

Any recommendation on a good color temperature meter. Budget is up to $1K?

I need a meter that can give the color temperature and the corresponding corrective filter number.

Thanx for any help.

Nick

• Premium Member

Nick,

I've had great luck with the Minolta Color Meter that Rolfe mantioned. I've had mine for about six years and it's been very reliable. I have the calibration checked every other year, but it's hasn't needed much adjustment in all that time. I won't shoot without it!

• Premium Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll order the Minolta.

Just out of curiosity, why is the one made by Sachtler cost so much more? Any features in the sachtler that's worth three times the price of the minolta meter?! :o

Here's the Sachtler model: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

Nick

• Premium Member
Any color temperature meters that spot and incident like a regual light meter? That would rock, especially for a student discount.

They can be quite pricey, as with the Minolta CS-100A at $7415.00:

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/k...t_Pages/CS_100A

speaking of calibrating meters... where might one have minolta and sekonic meters calibrated. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and never had them checked.

Joseph Farris

Director of Photography

Visions of Light, Inc.

Office: 312-829-8244

Pager: 800.808.8244

Mobile: 630.306.8244

Fax: 630.690.7678

www.visionsoflightinc.com

joe@visionsoflightinc.com

• Premium Member
where might one have minolta and sekonic meters calibrated.

Joe:

Here?s the place I?ve used:

Quality Light Metric, 7095 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028 323/467-2265.

Great guys and fantastic work.

I found some additional positive comments about them here as well:

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=1

• Premium Member

I would suggest the Minolta also. I used one shooting the zone system with color. It proved

to be a useful tool for Zone/Color work. As always meter should have a known history of cal-

ibration for professional work. At the time they were very expensive and I borrowed my mentor's,

I was shooting with 4X5 Linhof.

Greg Gross

I would have Minolta calibrate it. Unless you want a real fast turn-around. In reply to gentleman's

question about calibration. On the east coast I can send one to NYC,N.J. and get it back pretty quick.

Greg Gross

• Premium Member
I would have Minolta calibrate it.

Greg:

I believe that Quality Light Metric is a factory-authorized Minolta and Seconic Service Center. That may have changed since I was there a few years ago, but worth a call to check.

• Premium Member
Yes Sir,

Your point is well taken. Minolta sevice is fairly easy for me being near NYC and N.J..

Greg Gross

Yo, Greg-eee:

Sorry, I just noticed you're in Harrisburg. Being an ex-Philadelphian myself, I'd have to agree with the NYC idea. Closer is better.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the advice. I'll order the Minolta.

Just out of curiosity, why is the one made by Sachtler cost so much more? Any features in the sachtler that's worth three times the price of the minolta meter?! :o

Here's the Sachtler model: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

Nick

I met Mr. Georg Thoma, in Munich 6 months ago (he designed the Sachtler Color Meter) and he showed me his meter. This meter is very technical and the interface is in my opinion to technical and to complex. In principle the Sachtler color meter is more reliable and better designed technically than the Minolta meter, but the Minolta 3F is much more user friendly and gives you enough accurate measurement.

And one reminder: all color meters need to be calibrated once a year! After one year the sensor in the meters starts to give wrong measurement, no matter if the meter costs $500 or $5.000!

Tómas Örn T.

Director of Photography

www.internet.is/tomastomasson

I'm quite happy with my Minolta 3F. Seem to be using it mainly when working with HMI's though.

I wouldn't suggest spending $5K on a colour meter. Those seem to be for industrial and scientific applications.

There are lots of other things to spend money on.

I picked up a Minolta color meter 2 last year on ebay for about $200. They vary in price depending how many are for sale at the same time. The color meter 3 is usually more expensive as they are newer.

Tim