Light Meters

Hi, i am new to film and i plan on shooting a movie in 16mm some time in the near future. From what i have read, Sekonic light meters are pretty good so i was wondering what kind i should get. I am kind of on a tight budget so anything that is kind of cheap but still does the job would be great. Thank you

Hi,

Personally I recommend the Sekonik Studio master 2. It wasn't the cheapest in the shop but there were a lot more at much higher prices! I find that it does the job just fine and still won't break the bank. In the UK it was purchased for £120, I think that is around $215.

Rach

any working incident light meter will do I guess. I use the Sekonic L398M studio deluxe II. It has a cine-scale. not that you need it: 24fps @172.8= 1/48 25fps @ 180°: 1/50 so anywhere near 1/50 on any working light meter is your shutter.

I bought my sekonic for just over $ 200 and I'll propably have it for life.

A spot meter for lighting motion picture is not a strict necessity, but you'll learn it has great value on set. If you're going to look for a spot meter, try to find one that has a readout in the viewfinder.

• Premium Member

I have an old Studio Deluxe and a 508c.

The 508 was a nice chunk of change, but extremely well worth it. I really like the meter because it is so versatile.

I keep the Studio Deluxe (that I got at a Pawn shop for $20) as a back up. Matches the incident readings of my 508, so she still works. I would recommend that meter to anyone starting out (the Studio Deluxe).

Kevin Zanit

Thanks to all of you for your information. Are there major differences between the studio deluxe L398 and some older studio deluxes like the L-28c2? I am looking at purchasing a L398- I found a couple on ebay for around $50.

Guest oscar

If you are getting started even a minolta IV F can do the job, I have had mine for a few years and still works pretty good, price new in bh goes from 225 I guess.

Cheers

Oscar

Guest Pete Wright

I have a Gossen meter. I think that Gossen, Seconic and Minolta are equally good brands.

Any meter that has settings for fps rates is adequate for cinema work. Of course you can extrapolate with an ordinary light meter but convenience and ease of use speak for themselves.

The pocket sized Sekonic meters with fps rates are very handy and work on AA batteries that you can find anywhere quickly.

• Premium Member

I've been using my Sekonic 508C for about 4+ years and it's never once failed me (and I've abused the living daylight out of it). Given that many folks are running for the new 608, 508's are getting cheaper and cheaper - and only needs a single AA battery to run. Highly reccommend it.

Guest alfredbot

i heard that the 608c isnt great because it uses a cell battery the is either hard to find or very expensive. is this true?

what about the spectra prosessional IV-A? what is the different between that one and the $1000 model? just a spot meter added on it?

It's nice sometimes to be able to read in lumens or foot candles, that is the isolated unit metric without it's association to the ASA. (f/stops) It can free you up when balancing two different areas. Also I think that a spotmeter is a must for retaining consistant ratios.