Oscar Nominations - Best Cinematography-2006

Wendell_Greene

I would think that Brokeback Mountain is the clear favorite to win this.

Glad to see another Terrance Malick film get a cinematography nod. I think John Toll should have won for The Thin Red Line (not to take anything away from Kaminski's work)

• Premium Member
Give it to Elswit for Good Luck... B&W hasn't looked that good since Citizen Kane.

That's going too far, especially when you consider what b&w films came out after "Citizen Kane" (1941), like...

How Green Was My Valley (1941)

Casablanca (1942)

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

Jane Eyre (1944)

Mildred Pierce (1945)

Spellbound (1945)

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

Great Expectations (1946)

My Darling Clementine (1946)

The Fugitive (1947)

Out of the Past (1947)

Oliver Twist (1948)

The Third Man (1949)

Rashomon (1950)

Othello (1952)

Ugetsu Monogatari (1953)

On the Waterfront (1954)

Seven Samurai (1954)

Night of the Hunter (1955)

Pather Panchali (1955)

The Seventh Seal (1957)

Throne of Blood (1957)

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Touch of Evil (1958)

Psycho (1960)

Yojimbo (1961)

8 1/2 (1963)

Hud (1963)

The Trial (1963)

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

I Am Cuba (1964)

Red Beard (1965)

In Cold Blood (1967)

1970?s:

The Last Picture Show (1971)

Paper Moon (1973)

Manhattan (1979)

1980?s:

The Elephant Man (1980)

Raging Bull (1980)

Stardust Memories (1980)

I'll stop there...

yes, congrats to all nominees.

I was VERY glad that Lubezki was nominated for "The New World," and I was suprised to see that he wasn't nominated for the ASC award. I thought it a stunningly beautiful movie -- beauty that is not only appropiate to, but helps create, the poetic Mallick universe.

I disagree that Prieto is the favorie for "Brokeback ... " I don't think it's coat-tails will run that far. I think the front-runner has to be Beebe for "Memoirs ..."

Isn't it interesting though the Academy's extreme bias towards period films?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "American Beauty" the only movie in the last 20 years that takes place in approximately the year it was made, to win best cinematography.

Why do you think this is? I have my theories, which seem fairly obvious to me, so I'd like to hear what you all might think.

• Premium Member

Period movies look prettier, that's all. Often they take place before modern electrical lighting, so there is more window light, candlight, etc, plus unspoiled nature, plus the art direction and costuming are more color-coordinated. The modern world is a garish mismatch of color and artificial light. So Academy nominators and voters tend to respond more to what could be called a "cliched" notion of beauty rather than see the subtleties of cinematography in a contemporary setting.

• Premium Member
That's going too far, especially when you consider what b&w films came out after "Citizen Kane" (1941), like...

...and that 'Good Night, and Good Luck' is not a 'real' black & white film, but shot on color-neg.

• Premium Member

I have to second the disappointment with Janusz's snub. I feel all the films that are nominated look great, but Janusz's work really disserved to be in this group.

I am real happy to see Prieto, Lubezki and Pfister in there especially. Also, I would have liked to see Deakins's work on Jarhead get more acknowledgements; I thought the film looked fantastic.

...and that 'Good Night, and Good Luck' is not a 'real' black & white film, but shot on color-neg.

Well I prefer "real" B&W but if what I see on the screen is Black and White then I guess I have to say it's a Black and White film (it might not be Film either these days....)

I wanted to see Michael Chapman win for Raging Bull - but no way was it not going to go to Ghislain Cloquet - and Geoffrey Unsworth posthumously for Tess...

Ditto John Toll for The Thin Red Line - too bad Ryan was the same year...

Since The New World is the only one I've seen so far it's OK with me Emmanuel Lubezki wins !

-Sam