Pay rate for a grip

James Steven Beverly

I was just curious, What is the average pay rate for a grip? I know what most people get around my area but I wanted to see if rates vary. Thanks

In Vancouver BC Canada commercial rate:

key@ $450/10

BB @ $400/10 hr

grip @ $375/10 hr

In Vancouver IATSE 891

key @ $25-$35/hr

BB @ $22-28/hr

grip @ $ 19-23

IATSE rates vary according to the show and the deal they have.

Where are you and what do people get in your area ?

In Vancouver BC Canada commercial rate:

key@ $450/10

BB @ $400/10 hr

grip @ $375/10 hr

In Vancouver IATSE 891

key @ $25-$35/hr

BB @ $22-28/hr

grip @ $ 19-23

IATSE rates vary according to the show and the deal they have.

Where are you and what do people get in your area ?

Is that Canadian dollars?

For low-budget, non-union work in the States you can get key grips who know what they're doing for 150-175/day, USD. That is on the low side, but you can find experienced people to work for that rate in the right conditions. Again, that's for a key grip, other grips would work for less (and there's usually no shortage of G/E intern-types willing to work for just room and board).

Of course you have to be careful when you're trying to SAVE money and you end up with too many grips running around who don't know what they're doing. On my production I had one who wrecked a rental truck and another who blew out a ballast. Insured, but the deductible on those items were killer.

• Premium Member

Union rates vs. non-union rates, commercial rates vs. feature rates, etc. -- the range of salaries are tremendous, just as for DP's or any other crew member. Some shows may pay a grip $100/day and another $400/day, etc. It's too vague a question to answer.

For low-budget, non-union work in the States you can get key grips who know what they're doing for 150-175/day, USD. That is on the low side, but you can find experienced people to work for that rate in the right conditions. Again, that's for a key grip, other grips would work for less (and there's usually no shortage of G/E intern-types willing to work for just room and board).

Of course you have to be careful when you're trying to SAVE money and you end up with too many grips running around who don't know what they're doing. On my production I had one who wrecked a rental truck and another who blew out a ballast. Insured, but the deductible on those items were killer.

OUCH!!! That's GOTTA hurt!

Union rates vs. non-union rates, commercial rates vs. feature rates, etc. -- the range of salaries are tremendous, just as for DP's or any other crew member. Some shows may pay a grip $100/day and another $400/day, etc. It's too vague a question to answer.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be vague. This is a right to work state so unions are not that big an issue in many cases. I was mainly talking about non union feature rates but I also wanted to get an idea of what the rates would be for other things as well. Unoin, comercial ect. I am getting some of the answers I was after so it is helping. Thank you. :D

What are commercial rates in LA for Key Grip, BB & Grip ?

Here in Toronto, like everywhere else, rates vary.

I've been on low budget features where all techs made $50/day. I've been on commercials where I've gotten $300/day. I'm not union, but the rates seem to mirror B.C.'s, usually $375/day.

• 2 weeks later...
Here in Toronto, like everywhere else, rates vary.

I've been on low budget features where all techs made $50/day. I've been on commercials where I've gotten $300/day. I'm not union, but the rates seem to mirror B.C.'s, usually $375/day.

ive worked features where i was making $200-250 USD as a third...and then ive worked shows where i was making $400 as a third. depends on the show really.

but commercial work is where the money is. making 1200 some off bucks for a couple days isnt bad at all.