William Fraker

Arni Heimir

I like his work, particularly those films (1941, Exorcist 2, the opening of Close Encounters). For awhile, he was sort of the American version of Geoffrey Unsworth in style.

Geoffrey Unsworth did an effects shot for Exorcist 2 in Ardmore Film Studios in Ireland. It was of a setting sun across some march land. They had a model of the landscape that took up most of the sound stage, which was then filled with smoke. He had arcs on either side that were bounced up into the smoke to light the model. A tungsten spot was used to create the setting sun.

Hello All,

William Fraker is one of the best. Sometimes a person is great because their entire body of work (which is the case with Fraker)is great, however, Fraker's greatness can be summed up in one film: BULLITT. Wow, the cinematography is something to be admired. Perhaps the best car chase sequence in movie history. Wonderfully shot.

I have also read that Fraker did a lot of work on the original OUTER LIMITS.

Mike

I have also read that Fraker did a lot of work on the original OUTER LIMITS.

---As Conrad Hall's operator.

There is aline from Salame Jens in the 'Corpus Earthling' episode, after she checks out a noise in the hallway of a seedy boarding house: 'It's Billy Fraker. He's drunk again.'

---LV

Edited by Leo A Vale

Bill Fraker was also Spielberg's DP of choice for "E.T." (in the AC article about the making of the film he said Fraker could shoot really well at a very fast pace) but was busy at the time and had to decline. Later, "E.T." was also offered to Vittorio Storaro and then, finally, to Allen Daviau.