wind A & B for 16 mm camera

william koon

• Premium Member
Hi,

Please tell me which 16 mm cameras can take both Wind-A and Wind-B film. How does it work ? Do we have to switch off physically one side of claw and registration pin to suite the film stock?

!^mm film when you hold it up to the light so the image looks right, has the perfs on the left, and the Soundtrack area (if not super16) on the right. If your camera negative film is wound emusion in, you need "B" Wind, if it is wound enuslion out you need "A" wind. The only common place that uses emuslion out is the a-minima which takes a special "spool"/"core. "normal camera " tend to feed on B wind emusion in film, wither on a bolex/filmo daylight spool or on a core. Some magazines may have enough room to use emusion out film. butr I don't know if the a-minima rolls will fit a standard (like Filmo) magazine.

...Please tell me which 16 mm cameras can take both Wind-A and Wind-B film...

The current usage of B Wind and A Wind is wrong, according to the old standards by Kodak themselves that they used to follow in Wind nomenclature for both original and print films.

All normal cameras shoot B Wind film or double perf film. The stuff currently called A Wind for the A-Minima should really be called B Wind Emulsion Out film. Maybe they are calling it A Wind for the A (Minima) name instead, rather than the long standing standards for describing A Wind perforation orientation.

John Pytlak was going to look into this when I last mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I have never seen any results.

The current usage of B Wind and A Wind is wrong, according to the old standards by Kodak themselves that they used to follow in Wind nomenclature for both original and print films.

All normal cameras shoot B Wind film or double perf film. The stuff currently called A Wind for the A-Minima should really be called B Wind Emulsion Out film. Maybe they are calling it A Wind for the A (Minima) name instead, rather than the long standing standards for describing A Wind perforation orientation.

John Pytlak was going to look into this when I last mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I have never seen any results.

Hi, Am I right that all cameras take Winding B emulsion in ? But a member claims he has a camera which takes wind A and B. I am keen to pursue further information as an incident happened to me a few days ago. 3 rolls of fuji 500 negative Type winding B (emulsion in) were sent to a lab which later reported that a roll was without image. My questions are :

(1) Could the lab save the situation before processing since the other 2 rolls which were in winding A (emulsion in) after exposure were sent together?

(2) These reels were of the same batch but with different winding type. Could this be reasonable for the technician to suspect straight away in the dark room while rewinding?

(3) I agree the job for the lab is to process and they don't have time to check every single reel. For your information, this lab is not that busy and we are his regular customer. BUT at least suspect it with just a touch with fingers. Do you think it is not professional for them?

I am aware that the blame should go to the loader who unloaded the film. He did not do a good job. I am very certain that he sent the wrong roll which I am yet to find out. I need your help to help trouble shoot the mistake which gives us a good lesson. Hope to get a prompt advice from anyone. thanks & regards

• Premium Member
(1) Could the lab save the situation before processing since the other 2 rolls which were in winding A (emulsion in) after exposure were sent together?

Hi,

The winding from kodak does not effect how the exposed film is wound.

With a Mitchell the exposed film should be emulsion out, the take up belt can be reversed, then it's emulsion in.

If I shoot 35mm with an Arri 3/435 or Ultracam its wound emulsion in. With my Mitchell or an Oxberry its emulsion out.

Many cameras will also run backwards..........

Stephen