Nikon Lens Adaptor

Arni Heimir

• Premium Member

The flange focal distance (from lens seat mount to film plane) of Nikon is 44mm. PL has 52mm, so as you can see it's impossible to stick a Nikon lens with adapter into a PL mount lens (the other way around could work if the lens isn't to big in diameter). As Stephen said, you could obviously do it, but the lens would be in macro all the time.

Has anyone ever seen this done?

cheers

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

When a Nikon lens can not be used for infifity focus, what is the use of adapting it for PL mount.

But there are 35mm movie camer which can directly go with Nikon lenses - Photosonic make

When a Nikon lens can not be used for infifity focus, what is the use of adapting it for PL mount.

Sorry but that's not what I was asking - I was asking if anyone's seen and adaptor to put PL lenses on a Nikon stills camera....

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

• 2 years later...
Sorry but that's not what I was asking - I was asking if anyone's seen and adaptor to put PL lenses on a Nikon stills camera....

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

I do not think it will work, becuase PL mount lenses will not have

covering power to fill the area with good image for 35mm

mm still camera format

regards,

mngsekaran

Cinematographer

Guest Glen Alexander

It depends on the lens in question.

Generally no. Flange distance is too far.

If you get a long prime, that Century optics built, they have universal adapters. Most rental houses put PL adapters on them. You can buy an adapter and mount for about $150USD in Los Angeles from Schneider Optics in NoHo. Not even tech people at Clairmont Camera were aware of this. You can do this yourself without realigning the optics, simple bolt on adapters, I was considering this but the rental of long primes from Clairmont is hideously expensive, even when there is very few productions going on.

Edited by Glen Alexander